Thread: WHAT IS A GOOD TIRE FOR A STREET CAR

Junior Member APPRENTICE

WHAT IS A GOOD TIRE FOR A STREET CAR

TO ALL THAT CAN LEND SOME ADVICE , I have a 67 camaro that is back halved with 31x16.5 x15 mickey thompson pros the car weight is 3710 with me in it. The engine is a 540 that runs on pump gas with a turbo 400 manual valve body 3800 stall with a 4,10 gear no trans brake. The mickeys are okay if i feather the throttle then let it go [14 LBS PSI] . Is there a good street / strip tire or am i stuck buying slicks also are tubes required or is this just salesman ship 101 thankyou to all that can help

Junior Member APPRENTICE
    Donot know how much ya willing to go to get good street tires , meaning a local shop where I live has street tires bet the farm they hold . Has all tread rubber very soft . You can ball the tire up with ya hands before you place them on rim . They cost $250 for two 8 inch wide , $300 for 10 inch . Shop owner died few months ago (Billy West) miss him as well , but his wife still sells from there . Meaning if you can find an old drag racer that had tires made with that soft rubber , to me they are better than M/T drag radials

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    I used to run M&H Racemasters. They are almost a slick. I have no experience with the more modern tires that are out now.