Trailer Modification Regulation Question

Old 09-30-2010, 10:37 AM
rreffects
SHOW GUEST

Default Trailer Modification Regulation Question

Hey Guys,

I'm hoping someone here can point me in the right direction. We are modifying a 48' semi-trailer as our mobile shop. We've got the lift gate, and the jockey boxes installed.

I'm now installing a generator in the Jockey boxes. It will be vented, and situated so it can be pulled out when ran etc. The trouble I'm having is I need to install a fuel tank for it.

One of the jockey boxes at the rear of the trailer is perfect for it. It's a shallow box, mainly because it has to avoid the hydraulics for the lift gate, and it's just right for a fuel cell we already own. I'm halfway through the install, and someone comments that he doesn't know if it won't pass inspection with a fuel cell installed behind the rear wheels of the trailer.

I started trying to find out, but haven't been able to find any information on this whatsoever. Does anyone here have any information on the subject or know where I could go to get the information needed?

Thanks,
Ryan
Old 09-30-2010, 05:08 PM
TheRabbit
RACING JUNKIE

You're going to have to look into the DOT laws of your state.
Old 09-30-2010, 07:40 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Kinda curious how this plays out, obviouly some motorhomes have the tank behind the rear wheels and they are DOT approved.

Zip.
Old 10-01-2010, 04:28 AM
andamo
MASTER BUILDER

As someone mentioned, it's probably going to have to be checked by the DOT. Not knowing the configuration of what you have, you should consider what might happen if a tire were to shred itself and start hitting the cell. With the metal bands in the tires a spark could easily occur. Also, you should make sure the bottom of the cell, and fuel lines also, are above the scrub line of the chassis.