builing a new cage and sterring for my Nova.

Old 09-29-2010, 03:53 PM
chpseat987
CRAFTSMAN

Default builing a new cage and sterring for my Nova.

Hey guys its been a while since i have been in here. (sorry) But I have learned allot of good stuff from everyone, I have thick skin so I can take most anything LOL. In my 1972 nova I am ready to strip my car out and put a full legal cage in it. does any one have any prints ideas or have done this and can give me any suggestions, or share Pictures with me? Aslo getting rid of that pain in the ass stock steering box and want to put a rack in it so I can have more header room. Open for suggestions and comments please. :?: :?: :?: :?:
Old 09-29-2010, 06:15 PM
deward
JUNIOR BUILDER

Default New Cage

Several companies make cage kits for your car. Check out Summit or Speedway Motors. Don't forget to include frame connectors since your car is a Uni-body. Good luck!
Old 10-06-2010, 03:26 AM
chpseat987
CRAFTSMAN

So Iam not getting much response on the steering box, I really need some help and ideas here please. I have been told that thier is a mustand rack out there that will dang near bolt right up to my cross member. Has anyone donr this before and have any good do's and donts for me?

Thank you for your response on the cage. I have a very nice bender and plan to build it myself. I was again looking for just someone that has done it before and hopefully get some good tips and ideas.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:05 PM
gmpartsman
APPRENTICE

i am have also ditched the steering box and am leaning towards this but need to do a little more research

http://www.racingjunk.com/category/1...rsion-Kit.html
Old 10-06-2010, 07:04 PM
cam67152
MASTER BUILDER

http://www.unisteer.com/search_by_pr...1968-1974.html

I've never has any experience with these :?

cam67152
Old 10-08-2010, 03:07 AM
chpseat987
CRAFTSMAN

So what do most people do to change this steering box out? I Know someone out there has done it, I dont have money for a full tube chasis that would help out allot. If i can be any help i will keep folks updated on here with my progress but so far i have learned that the mustang rack is the besy choice is will be the best fitting with out a whols lot of mods to my cross memeber and the tie rods match richt up. I am goign to lean in that direction unless someone on here has a better sudjestion for me PLEASE....
Old 10-08-2010, 01:15 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

There are several ads on Ebay motors for the conversion but they are between $550.00 and $875.00, the most complete unit is $875.00 i think.

Zip.
Old 10-27-2010, 01:49 PM
kreative
SHOW GUEST

This is not all that hard if you have done it before.....where do you live?.....If you are close I could get a price on doing this for you.....
Old 10-27-2010, 02:13 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by chpseat987
So Iam not getting much response on the steering box, I really need some help and ideas here please. I have been told that thier is a mustand rack out there that will dang near bolt right up to my cross member. Has anyone donr this before and have any good do's and donts for me?

Thank you for your response on the cage. I have a very nice bender and plan to build it myself. I was again looking for just someone that has done it before and hopefully get some good tips and ideas.
I seriously thought about this for mine. I decided not to at the time. If you don't get it right the bump steer issue can be a real problem so I'm told,.The only way I would do it is if you buy the flaming river bolt on rack and pinion kit. The reason being the bump steer issue. If you trust your skills to get it right then fabricating your own stuff would be cheaper.

The stock box on a NOVA is a real PITA with a BBC. I have to take my steering box completely off to get the header on and off.

I am going to get my car out this weekend if I have time I will take some pics of the cage work and back half for you if interested.
Old 11-07-2010, 04:37 PM
coolracing
MASTER BUILDER

I believe speedway sells the mustang II rack mounts you weld on your stock cross member. As far as bumpsteer it is very simple esecially being in a drag car due to the fact you dont have alot of travel and your not taking high speed turns on a rough track. I have setup lots of cars with mustang racks from street strip cars to late model stock cars and never had a problem actually it was easy as hell.

Originally Posted by Tod74
Originally Posted by chpseat987

I seriously thought about this for mine. I decided not to at the time. If you don't get it right the bump steer issue can be a real problem so I'm told,.The only way I would do it is if you buy the flaming river bolt on rack and pinion kit. The reason being the bump steer issue. If you trust your skills to get it right then fabricating your own stuff would be cheaper.

The stock box on a NOVA is a real PITA with a BBC. I have to take my steering box completely off to get the header on and off.

I am going to get my car out this weekend if I have time I will take some pics of the cage work and back half for you if interested.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -