WHAT CFM FOR E85?????!!!!!!!!!???????

Old 09-26-2010, 09:57 AM
nan
JOURNEYMAN

Default WHAT CFM FOR E85?????!!!!!!!!!???????

Iam putting a 555 13:5 comp tall deck solid roller cammed motor on the street. Iam running an 1150 dominator right now for racing. I will be going to E85 and need imput on the proper carb. Do I have to run the same cfm? It will be more of a cruiser than a drag car. I will keep the dominator when I do go to the track. I plan on taking about 2 deg. timing out, but Iam not sure of the cfm I can safely run. I will also drop the shift point down. Any imput would be great.
Old 09-26-2010, 01:27 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Well if you are going to keep the dominator and switch it out to go to the track you need to stay with a dominator unless you want to mess with adaptor plate.
I'd put a 750 Dominator on it for the street if you can get one for E85.

So I assume you are going to have someone convert your 1150 to run E85? I have been told it isn't as simple as just buying a kit and doing it yourself.
Old 09-27-2010, 06:24 PM
cncmotorsports
MASTER BUILDER

You will give up power, but i would put a 950 HP on there, these are a much easier carburetor to find for E85, Also 13.5 is very very border line for E85. Typically 13.0 or less for E85, be care full with your fuel.
Old 09-28-2010, 12:42 PM
jmarksdragster
RACING JUNKIE

With a 555 I would do at least a 1050. 13.5 should be fine on E85 as long as you get a carb that is done CORRECTLY for E85, and keep an eye on the gas % changes you get at different times of the year. I am currently building an E85 1150 to use on the 23˚ SBC in my dragster, however there is a difference with E85 that requires different mods to get the most out of it, set it up wrong and it will not work well. There are only two builders I know of that have a real good handle on it and a lot of test time with E85 specifically, don't expect to put a conversion kit in it and have it work right. You will be spending more money later on to fix it. This goes for any size Holley, not just a Dominator.
Old 10-22-2010, 04:39 AM
jdrperformance
SHOW GUEST

Originally Posted by jmarksdragster
With a 555 I would do at least a 1050. 13.5 should be fine on E85 as long as you get a carb that is done CORRECTLY for E85, and keep an eye on the gas % changes you get at different times of the year. I am currently building an E85 1150 to use on the 23˚ SBC in my dragster, however there is a difference with E85 that requires different mods to get the most out of it, set it up wrong and it will not work well. There are only two builders I know of that have a real good handle on it and a lot of test time with E85 specifically, don't expect to put a conversion kit in it and have it work right. You will be spending more money later on to fix it. This goes for any size Holley, not just a Dominator.
That's correct, and I would go ahead and stay with an 1150. If it's set up right it'll be fine at cruise speed too.
Old 12-10-2010, 02:10 AM
mpowel03
SHOW GUEST

Default Re: WHAT CFM FOR E85?????!!!!!!!!!???????

Originally Posted by nan
Iam putting a 555 13:5 comp tall deck solid roller cammed motor on the street. Iam running an 1150 dominator right now for racing. I will be going to E85 and need imput on the proper carb. Do I have to run the same cfm? It will be more of a cruiser than a drag car. I will keep the dominator when I do go to the track. I plan on taking about 2 deg. timing out, but Iam not sure of the cfm I can safely run. I will also drop the shift point down. Any imput would be great.
Talk to Steve Morris at www.stevemorrisengines.com; Mark Sullens at [email protected]; or www.candsspecialties.com
Old 12-11-2010, 06:38 AM
bbchevy
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: WHAT CFM FOR E85?????!!!!!!!!!???????

Originally Posted by nan
Get ahold of Me,I have a Option on a 1150 E85 Dominator and Regulator.
I have been into this for a few.....?
Also will be yusing it in the Tank,this coming Season!
Later
G 8)
[email protected]