file fit rings

Old 09-17-2010, 05:38 PM
buneke
SHOW GUEST

Default file fit rings

i just finished filing top rings 036
i placed bottom rings in bore and they are at 028 unfiled and should be at 025 will this be a problem
the instructions for a nitrous engine over 150hp states for top ring bore[4.610x.008] 2nd ring bore [4.610x.0055] HELP would like to get shortblock done

THANKS
:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
Old 09-17-2010, 07:10 PM
contagious
MASTER BUILDER

Default rings

A lot of people make the second ring gap bigger than the top ring to help control ring flutter.The second ring is only for oil control or wipe,after you have it installed on the piston in the grove think about how much gap is showing.!! not very much.I know the instructions that came with the rings more than likely said make the second ring gap smaller,most will make a good bit larger than the top,I have seen people make .035-.040second gap and be fine and they say it makes more power ,because of better ring control.My 540 is n/a and the top is .022 and the second ring gap is .036.No oil use or somke and lots of power. You will be fine at that gap ,with the giggle gas go BIGGER.!!!!
Old 09-17-2010, 08:34 PM
buneke
SHOW GUEST

Default file fit

thanks for the info i am trying to get back out for only the 4th time this season and after set back after set back a little good news is great thanks
Old 09-19-2010, 07:43 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

A lot of the ring mfg. are starting to state this in the file fit rings inst. I just built a 388 for a person and used filed fit rings, it was mentioned that giving the second ring more endgap than the top ring stopped the flutter and would increase the seal of the top ring and second ring. Don't remember the brand but they were plasma moly rings.

Zip.
Old 10-03-2010, 04:52 PM
buneke
SHOW GUEST

THANKS CANT SEEM TO GET IT OUT TO THE TRACK OTHER ISSUES HAVE SHOWN UP