Merlin heads no i.d.

Old 08-29-2010, 12:40 AM
ljmachguru
SHOW GUEST

Default Merlin heads no i.d.

I recently bought a fairly high end street car w/468 bbc trying to i.d. the heads and i have ran into a brick wall as i have seen many others on here. They are merlin cast iron with the cast id no of 1-043 A? i researched merlins site and they have no listing for the "A" head they are on the engine and really dont want to tear it down to spec. the heads .I am hopefully going to up grade to a set of alum but i dont want to put the same volume ,cc,etc. heads back on. On the ends of the heads is stamped "OVR" someone said they may be marine heads i dont have a clue ?anyone know the runner size, chamber,etc. on these "A" coded castings? Worlds site list the b-c-and d but no "a" whats up?
thanks, machine.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:20 AM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

I would call World Products on the telephone.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:42 AM
kwkracing
RACING JUNKIE

I have a 468 with some old steel merlin heads, Let me check the numbers on mine, i sure would like a spare set.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:10 PM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

Sounds like the older VR castings which is a marine head.

I have as set of them on my car, damn good heads IMO, not sure of the port volume on yours but mine are 345's ported out but the 230 intake valves are box stock.

Cp
Old 08-31-2010, 07:05 PM
ljmachguru
SHOW GUEST

Thanks for the info i have done some measurements as best as i can with the heads on the motor and the springs are close to 1.562 o.d. looks as big as the seat base is cut? must be a older set of heads. They run ok but i still am in question about swapping them over to a set of 310 cnc aluminums not sure of any performance upgrades other tham weight savings? I really dont want to spend that kind of money to go the same e.t. I could probably buy a glass front for what the 310's are gonna cost.and drop more nose weight.
Old 09-09-2010, 07:38 AM
ljmachguru
SHOW GUEST

Well i called world castings and they dont have a clue which heads i have either and they built them.
so now what?
Old 09-10-2010, 12:01 AM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Do they say "MERLIN" on them or did someone just tell you they were Merlins?

FYI weight savings on a Big Chevy is 75 lbs when going from cast iron to aluminum.
Old 09-10-2010, 03:10 AM
ljmachguru
SHOW GUEST

Yes they say merlin and have the "W"
logo on them with the cast no's.