Forged Pistons?

Old 08-25-2010, 03:11 AM
burnskustomz
DYNO OPERATOR

Default Forged Pistons?

Ok I was wondering if there was a way to tell if a piston is a forged piston? I found some sbc pistons and would like to make sure they are forged like the people say they are. I don't want to get them and they be some cheap cast or hypereutectic pistons.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:16 AM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Forged is usually smooth on the inside, and i most cases the valve reliefs are machined, some of the cheap TRW and Speed pro pistons donot have machined valve reliefs. Cast pistons usually have thicker walls to make up for the weakness, and will be heavier than a forged pistons.

Zip.
Old 08-25-2010, 02:16 PM
burnskustomz
DYNO OPERATOR

Thanks I was just wondering he only has 7 so idk! Thinking about going with Icon Pistons out of Competition Products! But thank you for the info now I'll know what to look for If I buy them from an individual.
Old 08-25-2010, 07:48 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Burns since you are now short on money, why don't you get after the body work on the Camero, that's something you can do yourself and atleast you can keep going on the car. while you're doing that which is cheap but lot's of labor something may come along that will work in the engine dept. As i recall unless things have change since the last picture the car was a real dog waiting for body work. Heck i don't have money to finish the Anglia i have but have finished the body work and built a chassis. i can't afford the suspension yet but when i can the body is ready to be transferred to the chassis, which can't be done until the suspension is in place. :?:

Zip.
Old 08-26-2010, 03:29 AM
burnskustomz
DYNO OPERATOR

Yea! Probably would be a better idea. I was just wondering how to tell the difference in case I ran upon some somewhere and needed to know. But thank you for the info. and suggestion.