vetteparts got me

Old 08-23-2010, 07:15 PM
dkeen
SHOW GUEST

Default vetteparts got me

I have bought, sold, and traded on here for a while now. I had an ad listed to sell or trade a set of heads for a 950HP carb. Well, after no luck I bought a new carb, then the next day I got hit up for a trade. I figured, what the heck the guy wanted to trade me a BRAND NEW Holley 950HP for my Edelbrock SBC heads, I figured I may be able to sell it faster, so why not I did it based on the info that it was BRAND NEW. Well I received the carb, and it is a Holley 950HP but it isn't brand new, brand new carbs haven't been run on an engine, they don't have drilled primaries and secondaries, and they don't have jacked up lock screws for the float bowls. In hindsight, I should have requested a pic of the new carb. Just and FYI for anyone out there, this guy's judgement of new is different than mine. I did receive it in a timely manner, but feel like I was screwed over. I have no idea if it works yet or not, I need to order a kit for my "new carb" before I test run it so I can sell it as a used carb and take the freaking hit this guy should have!
Old 08-23-2010, 10:05 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

I bought a brand new 950HP back when they first came out, and it most certainly DID have holes drilled in the primaries and the secondary throttle blades. It was new in the plastic shrink wrap.

I'm not disputing you about his carb just giving you an FYI on the 950 HP carbs. He didn't drill it they come that way new...at least mine did.That was back before they had removable air bleeds and all that...mid to late 1990's.
Old 08-24-2010, 04:34 AM
dkeen
SHOW GUEST

Originally Posted by Tod74
I bought a brand new 950HP back when they first came out, and it most certainly DID have holes drilled in the primaries and the secondary throttle blades. It was new in the plastic shrink wrap.

I'm not disputing you about his carb just giving you an FYI on the 950 HP carbs. He didn't drill it they come that way new...at least mine did.That was back before they had removable air bleeds and all that...mid to late 1990's.
Good to know, still this is obviously not a brand new deal. It would be a little different if the intentions were to run in, I would still be a little upset with having to go through it. The appeal was to move the heads, and have a NIB carb that I could advertise in the $600 range and maybe haggle a little. Now I am stuck with a used car, and am going to be forced to take less than I intended. I will not advertise a used carb as brand new, simple as that my reputation means more to me than that. Like I said I should have requested pics, but I know what a brand new Holley 950HP looks like, just took one out of the box last week...oh well live and learn, and that is why I posted this so if anyone else deals with him they can get it crystal clear exactly what they are dealing with. He was a nice guy on the phone, he did ship it to me, it was all good except it wasn't what he said he had.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:18 AM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by dkeen
Originally Posted by Tod74

Good to know, still this is obviously not a brand new deal. It would be a little different if the intentions were to run in, I would still be a little upset with having to go through it. The appeal was to move the heads, and have a NIB carb that I could advertise in the $600 range and maybe haggle a little. Now I am stuck with a used car, and am going to be forced to take less than I intended. I will not advertise a used carb as brand new, simple as that my reputation means more to me than that. Like I said I should have requested pics, but I know what a brand new Holley 950HP looks like, just took one out of the box last week...oh well live and learn, and that is why I posted this so if anyone else deals with him they can get it crystal clear exactly what they are dealing with. He was a nice guy on the phone, he did ship it to me, it was all good except it wasn't what he said he had.

I sold my lightly used 950 hp on ebay for almost $500 so it aint as bad as you think...buit I see your point.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:00 AM
Scooterz
RACING JUNKIE

Here is one thought: "Brand-New" is a loose term & can mean different things to other people. Not taking sides here either, but what if the seller bought it & ran it for less than one tank of fuel only to find it was not the right carb for the job? I had an 850cfm I traded to a friend that was new, but ran for less than a tank of fuel.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:35 AM
THERATTLER
RACING JUNKIE

did he have the carb advertised on racing junk , if so do you have the add number where we can all take a look??? if not , do you have the emails or whatever that shows where he states BRAND NEW ??? not taking sides either , sometimes things are worded to fool people...welcome to the forum,,,Paul
Old 08-25-2010, 09:43 PM
dkeen
SHOW GUEST

Originally Posted by maniac
did he have the carb advertised on racing junk , if so do you have the add number where we can all take a look??? if not , do you have the emails or whatever that shows where he states BRAND NEW ??? not taking sides either , sometimes things are worded to fool people...welcome to the forum,,,Paul
No it wasn't an ad, he called me on my ad. I am not crying trying to get money back or whatever, it was an FYI for everyone else so it doesn't happen to anyone else.
Old 08-26-2010, 03:36 AM
TheRabbit
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by dkeen
Originally Posted by maniac
No it wasn't an ad, he called me on my ad. I am not crying trying to get money back or whatever, it was an FYI for everyone else so it doesn't happen to anyone else.
To me there is a difference in brand new and "like new".
Like you said, probably should have asked a few more questions.
I'm glad that you guys do buy and sell used parts online, but I've always just bitten the bullet and bought new stuff. I just don't have good luck buying used parts and it is probably my fault for not asking enough questions or knowing exactly what I'm buying. I know this sounds crazy, but it probably saves me money to buy new stuff. If (more like When ) I order a wrong part and it doesn't fit at least I can send it back.