8" converter with powerglide spline...??

Old 08-11-2010, 06:42 PM
shaybliss71
JOURNEYMAN

Default 8" converter with powerglide spline...??

I just bought a BTE torque converter. Its going in a 2500 to 2600 lbs. tube chassis with a 489 BBC. I was told by BTE it should stall around 5600 to 5800. I was also told that it was not recomended to run this converter with the powerglide splined shaft. They feel the turbo splines are the way to go. Anyone have any opinions and or info you would like to share.......thanks!
Old 08-11-2010, 08:19 PM
ccperf721p
SENIOR BUILDER

The converter will either be turbo splined or powerglide splined, it cannot be both so the proper input shaft will have to be used.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:57 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: 8" converter with powerglide spline...??

Originally Posted by Shaybliss71
I just bought a BTE torque converter. Its going in a 2500 to 2600 lbs. tube chassis with a 489 BBC. I was told by BTE it should stall around 5600 to 5800. I was also told that it was not recomended to run this converter with the powerglide splined shaft. They feel the turbo splines are the way to go. Anyone have any opinions and or info you would like to share.......thanks!
Whow!, did you buy it from BTE yourself and what spline did they tell you it had? The turbo spline is much larger, what spline do you have in the trans? The shafts are interchangable in the trans, but obviously you have to have the right shaft for the converter.

Zip.
Old 08-12-2010, 12:43 AM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

Turbo spline is the only way to go.

BTE does NOT recommend a powerglide spline in a high HP application, they are WAY to small and will snap like a tooth pick.

Like Zip stated, you either have a turbo splined converter or a glide splined, you cant have both, if I had to guess, your converter is turbo splined.

Most converter company wont even make their converter in a powerglide spline unless you ask.

Cp
Old 08-12-2010, 03:03 AM
kwkracing
RACING JUNKIE

i ran the same thing in a 1900 lb rail. The input shaft twisted the splines pretty good, but never broke. I wouldnt suggest it.
Old 08-13-2010, 03:36 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Mine has a powerglide spline..it is a COAN shaft. The reason I went with the powerglide spline is my trans guy said it was easier on him because he had to modify something to use the turbo spline...iduno. He was doing it for next to nothing as a favor AND he gave me the planetaries for it so I did as he asked.

It is rather small..I would have rather had a turbo spline..much larger diameter
Old 08-13-2010, 06:48 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by Tod74
Mine has a powerglide spline..it is a COAN shaft. The reason I went with the powerglide spline is my trans guy said it was easier on him because he had to modify something to use the turbo spline...iduno. He was doing it for next to nothing as a favor AND he gave me the planetaries for it so I did as he asked.

It is rather small..I would have rather had a turbo spline..much larger diameter
Todd something don't make sense here, the only problem is that most turbo spline shafts are for 1.76 gears, it's true if you have the 1.82 gears the turbo shafts are not interchangable, other than that they are a direct change out. The 1.76 gears have a 1/4" longer input shaft although some shafts are made for both gears sets. A couple yrs ago we broke a trans at the track, and a guy let us borrow a trans, it had a PG shaft in it, we took the turbo shaft out of the broken thans and put it in his trans, we we back racing before they called first round.

Zip.
Old 08-13-2010, 07:59 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by zipper06
Originally Posted by Tod74

Todd something don't make sense here, the only problem is that most turbo spline shafts are for 1.76 gears, it's true if you have the 1.82 gears the turbo shafts are not interchangable, other than that they are a direct change out. The 1.76 gears have a 1/4" longer input shaft although some shafts are made for both gears sets. A couple yrs ago we broke a trans at the track, and a guy let us borrow a trans, it had a PG shaft in it, we took the turbo shaft out of the broken thans and put it in his trans, we we back racing before they called first round.

Zip.
I probably misunderstood..

I thought he said he had to do some minor machining to something.Mine is the 1.76 planets.the trans I took him was a 1.82 and he gave me the input shaft to take with me on my search... he showed me the length difference and told me to compare it to any trans I found and that would tell me which planets were in it without tearing it down.That's why he gave them to me...after searching/calling junkyards for 2 weeks trying to find a good 1.76 core he tells me he had 5 or 6 sets he would just give me one.

Maybe his comment was refering to using the 1.82 cause the first trans I took him was 1.82
Old 08-13-2010, 08:36 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

GOOD GUY, 1.76's are getting harder to find, they only came in V8's and the 1.82's came in 6 bangers which GM built millions of them. A good 1.76 core is worth a couple hundred dollars today, new 1.76's are $400.00.

Zip.
Old 08-13-2010, 08:55 PM
bbchevy
RACING JUNKIE

Default PG

CORRECT Me if I'm WRONG?
But,if I remember correctly,seems that they had to Machine the Pump Gears for a Turbo Spline to Fit?Seems back in the early 80's I went thru this problem?
But shortly after that they were all the Same and would Interchange?
Just dont know forrsure,matbe it was the Pump Gear>?
Later
G :?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -