longer valves

Old 08-09-2010, 08:10 PM
sds10racer
MASTER BUILDER

Default longer valves

have got a set of heads bought reasonable,i hope, that need a few new valves. the valves are .100 longer valves. now the question is what is the pros/cons on longer valves. also, do i have to replace the valves with the same brand?
Old 08-09-2010, 08:34 PM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

Big cams require taller valves to get the rocker arm geomtry correct, plus taller more aggressive springs add to the equation.

If it were me and I was in doubt I would replace all the valves rather than taking a chance on only replacing the missing valves, they are missing because?

JMO>Cp
Old 08-09-2010, 09:27 PM
kwkracing
RACING JUNKIE

Taller valves allow for greater valve lift. With the stock length valve there is only so much room before you would coil bind the spring, add say a .100 longer valve and the right spring and you got .100 more usuable lift.
Old 08-10-2010, 03:54 PM
sds10racer
MASTER BUILDER

the other valves were bent from another engine that grenaded. the heads and vavles have been checked,as well as the springs. the valves and springs were on a engine with .545 lift. he had .100 longer pushrods in it ,too. they're engine pro race valves,springs,retainers and locks. i was thinking on getting standard length valves to go with the same pushrods i have in my engine now. the cam i have is .525 lift with my 1.6 rockers. the only difference in these heads are the valve sizes on int. and ex. and are set up for screw in studs. both the current heads and these heads are vortecs, just different castings. figured being the machine work and the price of the springs alone would offset the cost of new valves anyway. just need to know if i should go ahead and get just 4 int and 4 ex valves the same size and get a set of longer push rods or try my standard length first to check the pattern of the rocker to valve tip.