How can i get started into racing modifieds?

Old 08-09-2010, 07:05 AM
Jamo723
SHOW GUEST

Default How can i get started into racing modifieds?

I have been around racing for a long time and finnaly at the age of 30 decided that i want to actually start driving myself. I want to drive a modified but not sure where or how i should go about getting started on this. I mean ofcourse buying the car and trailer would be the first step. but learning how to actually set the car up and stuff like that is what i am talking about. I live in the clarksville, Tn area. I have never actually driven in a race before. i have drove to pack the track a few times but never actaully race. Does anyone in the area know of testing days and times at any local tracks. i know when i was living in texas the local track there had practice days set up thru out the year. Where would be the best place to learn how to setup a modified to go racing? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
James Saylor
US Army
101st Airbourne Division
Old 08-09-2010, 03:38 PM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

IMHO you start in the lowest class offered to get your feet wet and learn how to turn laps SMOOTHLY before you strap on a fully adjustable suspensioned rocket sled. The learning curve is straight up if you don't spend any windshield time in a fendered car. Learn what it takes to drive in traffic, work your way up to the front, and lose/win graciously.
I absolutely GUARANTEE you would get frustrated and quit before you even got started if you tried to race a mod right outa the box.
You didn't just strap on a chute and jump out of a perfectly good airplane with out LOTS of training and preparation first.
I compare circle track racing to actual combat, and I train and prepare car and self accordingly.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:22 PM
Jamo723
SHOW GUEST

Thanks for the tip. I know that with starting a new career in this is going to be difficult in any class. Should I start at the bottom; probably. Do i want to? No. Why start in a class that i dont think i would get any enjoyment out of. yes getting ready for racing is like training for combat. i am not looking to go straight to the front on my first season out. now i have seen drivers start out in the modified class and do great, but i have also seen them start out in mods and go backwards. So it can really go either way. I am not throwing your suggestion back at you by any means. I have thought of buying a 4 cylinder or a hot stock to first start off in. i would just rather start where i want to be at and work there at it. Anyone in the Clarksville, TN willing to have someone tag along in the pits to learn some stuff please let me know. I would love to get some hands on training on friday afternoons and saturdays at the track.
Old 08-11-2010, 06:46 PM
dpassmore
JUNIOR BUILDER

Here's some good sites.
http://www.midsouthforums.com/viewforum.php?f=1

http://www.4m.net/index.php
Old 08-11-2010, 07:13 PM
jimboscarbs
SHOW GUEST

Default My 2 cents

James,
For what it's worth I have raced and worked on cars all my life so let me preface this by saying I will get to the racecar's in a minute, so hear me out.
One year, one of my sons had wrecked a Racecar I built him beyond repair and I didn't have the money to fix it so I bought go karts, only after a friend coaxed me to ride one. I must say before I rode it I figiured no self respecting car racer would be seen on one.

To the contrary, I was quite suprised. I ended up finishing 9th at the Tunica Nationals that year, in the unlimited Allstar class and all I can say is WOW what a ride! under ten second lap times on a 1/6 mile oval. It definitely filled the need for speed and made a much better driver out of me.
Karts will also teach you loads about the concepts of setup and adjustments you need to make on any car to go fast. The other plus side is it's not as expensive as full size cars. Let me interject here and say though so you have no preconceived notions, know any racing is expensive have no doubts about it...
To continue the story,To be competitve in Karts, plan to spend about 5k and higher on your initiitial investment and about $50.00 an outing. Finally about the karts, some or the best racers in the country, whether it be dirt or asphalt come from Kart racing. I personally know many very talented drivers that came from karting.

Full blown Modified
If you intend to run up front know that this is an expensive endeavor in tires alone... a full blown modifed is on the order of a 35k investment new and about half that used this does not include an on average cost $200.00 every outing (that is any car except the bomber class maybe). I am not trying to discourage you I just want you to know what is what here.

Limited modified
you can race this class competitvely as cheaply as you can race any full sized car. Where you are located geographically I would be suprised if you didn't know someone who has one of these cars. There are more and more used cars on the market for these classes and if you do your homework you can still build a motor that will compete in this class in you own shop.

Full Bodied Cars
In my opinion the full bodied cars of the lower classes are just to damn hard to work on and maintain properly because of the bodies. The limited car is essentilay the same car with an aluminum body with easlily removed panels

I have probably rambled on enough so in closing I will say whatever you race, whether it be lawnmowers on Winston cup DO NOT and I repeat DO NOT skimp on saftey equipment. This includes fire suits, helmets cars whatever, specially fuel cells. With that said I hope you get what you want and enjoy racing it. I can tell you after over a 33 year involvement in racing.
It's the most fun I have ever had with my clothes on!!!
Thank you for your service to our great country, Jimbo
http://www.jimboscarbs.com/Winning.htm
Old 08-12-2010, 06:49 PM
dpassmore
JUNIOR BUILDER

Yep karts are great. Require alot of control and takes a good driver to win in one.
Old 08-13-2010, 03:41 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

This has been posted several times before I didn't think of it..but it fits.

Go to the bank and get 10k in 1's 5's 10's 20's 50's and 100's.

Start with the ones and start flushing them down the kamode..then go to the fives etc...if you can flush it all without getting too upset then you are ready.
Old 08-14-2010, 07:33 PM
dragonmaster093
RACING JUNKIE

best and cheapest way to start is 4cyl/mirco cars cheap readily available gives you a chance to get feet wet then work to hobby/bomber then if go to sport mod (stock car/street stock is expensive cause more or less modified with car body) jmo and experince in imca classes
Old 08-15-2010, 07:46 AM
Jamo723
SHOW GUEST

Jimbo,
thank you so much for all the info. i have thought about the kart thing but just not sure if it is where i want to start off at. I figure if i am going to spend the money then i am going to go where i really want to be. more than likely i will start off in hot/street stock or limited mods. i dont want to start out and go straight to the front. it would be nice but unless i can get a few sponsors, i will be running from middle to the back. but that is ok with me. eventually i will make my way to the front. i am not throwing your advice out the window by any means. i would go 4 cyl but to me its just not fast enough for me. like i said i havebeen around racing since i was three. my dad built a couple of tracks and worked as a board man on another. now i worked on a couple of modifieds crews at a local track during high school but i was so envovled in my sports then that i didnt get to learn near what i wanted to. and since i have been in the military i havent had the chance to get to the near as often as i wanted to either. but thats all fixing to change. so again thank you for all your information and opinions. it is very much appreciated.
James Saylor
US Army
101st Airbourne Division
1-327th INF REG
Old 08-16-2010, 06:14 PM
slowmotion
RACING JUNKIE

Have you ever drove a race car? It's like the theory of relativity. They feel a whole lot faster on the inside than they look on the outside. Maybe for the right price somebody would let you "borrow" one of the lower class cars for a night.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -