Thread: Motor burns oil

Junior Member SHOW GUEST

Motor burns oil

Hi,
    I just built a new big BBC 622, and it is in a street car. The block was cross hatched honed with 400 grit. The motor is a 4 3/4 stroke with 6.700 inch rod. I am running total seal gapless top ring. The rings are 1/16, 1/16, 3/16. After I broke the engine in I put in valvoline racing oil 20/50 . I have a couple 100 miles on the motor and it seems like it burns maybe 1/2 qt per 30 to 40 gallons of gas. This is my first big inch motor. Is this normal for a motor this size? or did I over look something?
    Thanks

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    probably not. If it was built as a race engine it has a few extra thousands on some things and probably has no exhaust valve seals. Which is not a bad thing.

Junior Member SHOW GUEST
    It has New teflon valve seals on the intake and exhaust valves
    thanks

Re: Motor burns oil

Quote Originally Posted by davelee
    Hi,
    I just built a new big BBC 622, and it is in a street car. The block was cross hatched honed with 400 grit. The motor is a 4 3/4 stroke with 6.700 inch rod. I am running total seal gapless top ring. The rings are 1/16, 1/16, 3/16. After I broke the engine in I put in valvoline racing oil 20/50 . I have a couple 100 miles on the motor and it seems like it burns maybe 1/2 qt per 30 to 40 gallons of gas. This is my first big inch motor. Is this normal for a motor this size? or did I over look something?
    Thanks
    I built a 400 with 6 inch rods once. The wrist pin was way up in the oil ring. That thing burned oil big time with 20w50 in it. Maybe a quart every 150 miles or so. Changed the oil to 10w30 racing oil and could get about 2K miles to a quart. I figure the rings just couldn't control the heavier oil as easily. I never got to find out exactly why. I've built a bunch of other engines similar to this with no problem since then.

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE oldandtired's Avatar
    Do you have the low tension oil ring package?
    Dave
    http://www.racingjunk.com/profile/343797
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE TheRabbit's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oldandtired
    Do you have the low tension oil ring package?
    X2.
    And I wouldn't run 20/50. The thicker oil with low tension rings will make it burn oil worse. I used 10/30.