350 sbc question? 3970010 How much HP?

Old 07-29-2010, 07:49 PM
burnskustomz
DYNO OPERATOR

Default 350 sbc question? 3970010 How much HP?

Ok I have a 3970010 block and on the back of it where the flexplate goes its got 010 stamped on it with 020 right under it. It's a 4 bolt block and I just bought another one and its got the same stampings but this one runs and I was wondering about how much horsepower a block like this can handle and is the 020 anything special I've seen 010 stamped on it before but was wondering if the 020 stood for anything?
Old 07-30-2010, 01:11 AM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

If its got a 020 cast on the side maybe that means it's twice as good as a 010? :P

Dont go past 500hp much and you'll be fine.
Old 07-30-2010, 04:04 AM
traysvega
JUNIOR BUILDER

Default Re: 350 sbc question? 3970010 How much HP?

Originally Posted by burnskustomz
Ok I have a 3970010 block and on the back of it where the flexplate goes its got 010 stamped on it with 020 right under it. It's a 4 bolt block and I just bought another one and its got the same stampings but this one runs and I was wondering about how much horsepower a block like this can handle and is the 020 anything special I've seen 010 stamped on it before but was wondering if the 020 stood for anything?
High nickel block.Stud the bottom end,square everything (machine work).I've used this very block in several drag motors.Making 580H.P right now with one thats 7 years going strong...600 H.P is what I'd rate it at pretty easy.(best block to use IMO for a drag app.) with less than 400 cubes.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:33 AM
burnskustomz
DYNO OPERATOR

Ok thanks guys just wondering and I don't think I'll come close to using the blocks full potential anytime soon. And traysvega what have you got in that Vega because from the videos on YouTube that thing will scoot. And I think I might trade them for a corvette block that way it will be really strong!! LOL (inside joke) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 07-30-2010, 01:06 PM
traysvega
JUNIOR BUILDER

Ok thanks guys just wondering and I don't think I'll come close to using the blocks full potential anytime soon. And traysvega what have you got in that Vega because from the videos on YouTube that thing will scoot. And I think I might trade them for a corvette block that way it will be really strong!! LOL (inside joke) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
LOL.Its turned down abit so I dont have to wear the pants,gloves neckbrace thingy.lol I leave at 3600 to 3800 and shift 6200 and can run 10.teens's in the heat..With it turned up,leaving at 5k and shifting at 7200 it will run low 6.20's...ran 6.08 best but installed a spragless verter which slowed the car abit.
ALSO it has a 388 sbc withblock number 3970010.... :wink:
Old 07-30-2010, 01:30 PM
burnskustomz
DYNO OPERATOR

Originally Posted by traysvega
LOL.Its turned down abit so I dont have to wear the pants,gloves neckbrace thingy.lol I leave at 3600 to 3800 and shift 6200 and can run 10.teens's in the heat..With it turned up,leaving at 5k and shifting at 7200 it will run low 6.20's...ran 6.08 best but installed a spragless verter which slowed the car abit.
Cool!!! I'm just gonna throw some .030 flat tops in one of them engines after I get it bored with a mild street cam and if I can talk this guy into selling them it will have gm vortec heads but the guy is known to keep stuff and not sale it and 20 yrs later the parts he didn't sale you are rusted in the ground.

Also a new question the vortec heads that started in 96 in the trucks I notice now on the vortec 5.3's its more of a LS style looking head they aren't like the vortec heads in the 90's are they? :? :?
Old 07-30-2010, 01:45 PM
traysvega
JUNIOR BUILDER

Cool!!! I'm just gonna throw some .030 flat tops in one of them engines after I get it bored with a mild street cam and if I can talk this guy into selling them it will have gm vortec heads but the guy is known to keep stuff and not sale it and 20 yrs later the parts he didn't sale you are rusted in the ground.

Also a new question the vortec heads that started in 96 in the trucks I notice now on the vortec 5.3's its more of a LS style looking head they aren't like the vortec heads in the 90's are they? :? :?
Nope stick with the 96-98 vortech heads. 5.3 heads are ls based...
Also,383 that motor,,no reason to do a 355 anymore.cost is about the same with much more potential on a 383 version....vortechs,383 flattopper,mild hydraulic 500 lift 220 dur. @.050..it be a screamer....About 450 H.P fly n.p..with lots tire burnin torque.... :wink:
Old 07-30-2010, 02:22 PM
burnskustomz
DYNO OPERATOR

HAHA haven't you got to cut the block in some way to make it a 383? And isn't it expensive? IDK much about building them? LOL
Old 07-30-2010, 04:27 PM
burnskustomz
DYNO OPERATOR

Nope stick with the 96-98 vortech heads. 5.3 heads are ls based...
Also,383 that motor,,no reason to do a 355 anymore.cost is about the same with much more potential on a 383 version....vortechs,383 flattopper,mild hydraulic 500 lift 220 dur. @.050..it be a screamer....About 450 H.P fly n.p..with lots tire burnin torque.... :wink:
Would you go low comp. or high comp.? Thought about 10:1-11:1 but idk? Also what brand and type of piston would you prefer be used with nitrous? I'm trying to build it with the least amount of money possible but I atleast want a high to mid 7sec car in the 1/8th and when I say 1/8th I mean our cheap little dragstrips around here like 600ft.
Old 07-30-2010, 06:32 PM
traysvega
JUNIOR BUILDER

HAHA haven't you got to cut the block in some way to make it a 383? And isn't it expensive? IDK much about building them? LOL
Yes you do sometimes depending on the rods used have to notch the pan rails and sometimes it will hit the bottom of a cylinder or 2,but clearancing is fairly easy.
decent read.. http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...y_stroker.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -