water pump question

Old 07-28-2010, 06:15 PM
ejm
SENIOR BUILDER

Default water pump question

i have a 496 bbc in a pulling truck at first i had a mr. gasket cog belt drive for my pump worked great for 2 years then a wire came loose internally so i got an other one 2 pulls later (maybe a total of an half hour) the bearings went out of the motor (i could squeze the belt about an inch so not to tight so i said the hell with it and just put the water and crank pulley on and now at 7000 rpm throwing belts should i spend the money on a actual electric water pump? sorry bout the length
Old 07-28-2010, 07:29 PM
markdunlap
DYNO OPERATOR

Default water pump

I have had every type drive and pump there is over the years. I vote for an electric water pump. My preference is CSR. I'd stay away from Chinese copies like Pro Comp or ProForm.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:01 PM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

X2 on the CSR
Old 07-29-2010, 03:28 PM
TheRabbit
RACING JUNKIE

X3 on the CSR
Old 07-29-2010, 04:48 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

I'll never again spend a dime with CSR. My water pump is making noise again (2nd motor) I order it from jegs, CSR backorders it with them for 3 weeks, I finally call CSR they have them on the shelf. Call Jegs, tell them to call and see when they are going to get them, another 3 weeks. CSR wanted 50 more then jegs. Nice of them.

That was strike 2 in only a few months with CSR. I have a 2 yr old 6" Chrome CSR Fill Neck, it leans around the base (epoxy inside gone bad) I called to send it back to get it fixed, they wont even fix them because the expoxy they used is no good an leaks and there is no fix other then re-epoxy which they do not do. But they'd be happy to sell me a new one that doesnt have epoxy.

I replaced my CSR with a Pro Comp, $116 to my door. Works great so far, If it ever goes bad I'll go back to Meziere. Customer Service is less then great with CSR is the moral of the story.
Old 07-29-2010, 05:54 PM
TheRabbit
RACING JUNKIE

The backorder from Jegs is not CSR's fault. Jegs and Summit wait until they have an order for x $ before they place their orders. Almost any manufacture is gonna be higher than a dealer. That way they aren't competing with all their dealers and under selling them.
Water necks leak on all of them. Use some pipe dope and tighten it pretty good and problem solved.
Old 07-29-2010, 06:24 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by TheRabbit
The backorder from Jegs is not CSR's fault. Jegs and Summit wait until they have an order for x $ before they place their orders. Almost any manufacture is gonna be higher than a dealer. That way they aren't competing with all their dealers and under selling them.
Water necks leak on all of them. Use some pipe dope and tighten it pretty good and problem solved.

Actually id call its CSR's fault, when I call and they have them on the shelf, Jegs calls while I wait on hold and they get told "sorry we dont have any motor on hand we are waiting on them ourselves". I was #18 in-line wiaitng on a clear replacement motor. They had been backordered sense april (this was mid june).

I dont think some pipe dope will fix the filler necks, they leak at the angle where the neck meets the base. bad epoxy was used on the insides, not my words CSR's words. There is no thread to put pipe dope on not sure if your fimilar with them or not ???

Typically filler necks dont leak, atleast not any I have purchased until this one. Not being a jerk but come on, how can I or anyone else support a company that tells customers they know they put bad epoxy in a filler neck and they wont hold up to heat and not even let ya pay them to fix it ?? Or want to get ya for 50 bucks more then jegs does for a replacement motor?
Old 07-30-2010, 01:07 AM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

That does suck David and I'm not defending any company here but to me your case sounds like an isolated incident.

I'm sure there are better pumps out there and there are but as a whole CSR has a pretty good rep :wink:

Now I'm not so sure about their filler necks, are you serious, epoxy :!:

What dumba$$ thought that was gonna work :?:

JMO>Cp
Old 07-30-2010, 03:43 AM
ajk
DYNO OPERATOR

Here we go again...
Old 07-30-2010, 06:18 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by cepx111
That does suck David and I'm not defending any company here but to me your case sounds like an isolated incident.

I'm sure there are better pumps out there and there are but as a whole CSR has a pretty good rep :wink:

Now I'm not so sure about their filler necks, are you serious, epoxy :!:

What dumba$$ thought that was gonna work :?:

JMO>Cp
they have sense stopped using epoxy :wink:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -