ALCOHOL

Old 07-21-2010, 09:24 AM
JEFF69Z28
DYNO OPERATOR

Default ALCOHOL

GIVE ME THE GOOD AND BAD,RACING FUEL THAT IS!
Old 07-21-2010, 09:34 AM
dak697
MASTER BUILDER

Personally I like Alcohol as a fuel.
The good:
-on the motors we run (355 SBC and 505 BBC) both are injected

-likes compression
-runs cooler (we run hard block in ours)
-seems to have more consistancy with weather change

The Bad (or not so good)
-between race maintence (alcohol is hard on aluminum) on the SBC we drain everything and WD40 the pump, nozzles, barrel valve and cylinders, on the BBC I run an additive and draing the fuel if I am not racing back to back weekends
-used to have a problem starting on a cold day. We built a couple of gas priming systems and have no problems now

I think the pros of running it out way a little maintenace you have to do
Old 07-21-2010, 10:36 AM
curtisreed
RACING JUNKIE

I agree that it likes compression, but it is not absolutely needed. Totally runs cooler. Makes more torque, especially in smaller motors. Is definitely more forgiving in your tune up. Not necessarily more consistent, just doesn't move around as much with the weather.

The maintenance I totally disagree with. Although it can attack uncoated aluminum if you keep everything full there is no need to drain and lube everything like dak does. That's is not to say that what he is doing is wrong or bad just more work than I have needed to do.

Cheaper to run IMO.

Injected, he is right, a primer system is worth it's weight in gold. Carb cleaner does a fantastic job in place of a primer though on initial start up. My carburated motor starts without anything but alcohol down to about 40°.

dak, no offense intended on our disagreements. These are just my opinions of running alcohol for 25 years.

Curtis
Old 07-21-2010, 11:13 AM
kwkracing
RACING JUNKIE

X2 i run alky in everything here. I have never had no maintenance problems, Keep it full or drain it.

That even goes for my alky mini bikes, they may sit for months, spray some carb cleaner and they fire right up.
Old 07-21-2010, 03:33 PM
bbchevy
RACING JUNKIE

Default Alcohol

I THINK the Biggest Mistake that Guys make with a Alcohol System is Mounting the Pump above the Tank!My car fires Up within 3 Full revolutions of the Motor spinning!I have a Guy that parks next to me at the Track,I DO NOT Know whos starters and Batteries He uses?But,He USES the S#!T out of a Starter-WOW?Crank and Crank???I look at his system?The Pump is atleast 8"s above the Tank!Fuel has a Hard Time running UPHILL!!Thats also HARD on the Pump when theres NO Fuel going thru it when its Spinnning!
I have a Complete Primer System that I dont Need,ask him if He wanted it?He Tells Me,He dont NEED it?
I also AGREE 100% on NOT Draining the System if you keep it FULL,but I also Use about Twice as Much Upper Lube as Reccomendid?
I Like any Type of Injection,Not a Fan of a CarburatoR.
Once You Go Injected Alcohol,I know Few that have went back to GAS?
Later
G 8)
Old 07-21-2010, 04:00 PM
curtisreed
RACING JUNKIE

One other thing that I have forgotten to mention is that we run Klotz top end lube. 1 quart to 55 gallons. We did find some better consistency with it and a small amount of e.t. over whatever top lube the fuel supplier was putting in the drum if we bought it already included.

Not saying Klotz is better than what anyone else is using, just our experience. These results were on an injected BBC dragster and my carbed
SBC roadster.

Curtis
Old 07-21-2010, 06:30 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

only down side is it uses more fuel each pass but cost='s out anyways.

I been running alky for years, injection, several different carbs.
Anyone that does anything extra vs gas is doing it for nothing. I make a lot of passes a year, dont drain the fuel dont run upper lube (wait till you get some bad stuff that gums up a carb once you'll love it to) I change the oil the same as I did with gas (50-55) passes. Rebuild my engines the same. There is to many people who make it harder then it should be
Old 07-21-2010, 08:06 PM
bbchevy
RACING JUNKIE

Default Carbs?

Originally Posted by hammertime

Anyone that does anything extra vs gas is doing it for nothing. I make a lot of passes a year, dont drain the fuel dont run upper lube (wait till you get some bad stuff that gums up a carb once you'll love it to) I change the oil the same as I did with gas (50-55) passes. Rebuild my engines the same. There is to many people who make it harder then it should be
Yep Dave,
Them Damn CARBS gum up ALOT!(On My John DEERE)Cause thats the ONLY Place you SHOULD Have a CARB!!!!!!!
Later
G
Old 07-21-2010, 08:08 PM
ccperf721p
SENIOR BUILDER

I don't run top lube, but I do drain the tank and pull the car in the trailer on gas due to running magnesium stacks. Other than keeping the handle pulled halfway out while cruising through the pits no other changes from gas.
Old 07-22-2010, 05:48 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: Carbs?

Originally Posted by bbchevy
Originally Posted by hammertime

Yep Dave,
Them Damn CARBS gum up ALOT!(On My John DEERE)Cause thats the ONLY Place you SHOULD Have a CARB!!!!!!!
Later
G
lol My injection got taken off last weekend and a carb put on it :shock:
but they sure do gum up if ya dont watch it, and some top lubes are horrible.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -