Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 36

Thread: What fuel

  1. #1
    Senior Member DYNO OPERATOR
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Douglasville Ga
    Posts
    474

    What fuel

    Hey guys, its getting about that time for me to fire up the Opel. All I have left to do is have some headers made. My question is what fuel do I need to run, The engine is a 418 18degree SBC with 13:8 to 1 CR. I know that I can get 110 (purple colored) pretty close by. I was informed that I needed 112 but wanted to double check. Also is C12 the same as 112? If I need 112, could it be possible to mix 110 and 112. The reason I ask is the place I called about getting 112 said that is was $65 for 5 gallons. That seems a little high to me. Sorry about all the questions. Thanks in advance.
    Chris

  2. #2
    Senior Member DYNO OPERATOR
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    496
    i would call vp racing fuels and ask them what to use.

  3. #3
    Senior Member SENIOR BUILDER
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Phoenix AZ
    Posts
    116
    I will run 110 up to 14:1, but I will take camshaft design into account. 106 - 108 sep with 268+ intake duration doesn't have the dynamic compression ratio that I feel warrants C12. I have 3 customer engines in the 13.5 - 14.0 range that run every weekend on 110, they are on a 3 season freshen up cycle 2 have been freshened up once and one is on it's second freshen up cycle with the original pistons.

    I moved my car to alcohol some time ago, cost per run was cut in half, makes better power, cool down time is basically nothing which takes one more thing out of equation, allowing me to prepare for the next round a little better. Makes it nice being able to basically hot lap a 7 second altered.

  4. #4
    Senior Member DYNO OPERATOR
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Douglasville Ga
    Posts
    474
    Thanks guys, I will call VP to double check. There is a big difference in what I would have to pay for 112 ad what I can get 110 for.

  5. #5
    Senior Member DYNO OPERATOR
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Douglasville Ga
    Posts
    474
    I just got through talking with VP and they suggest using C12. I guess I will have to bite the bullet. I have always used 110 I got from BP.

  6. #6
    Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Fountain,MICHIGAN
    Posts
    856

    Fuel

    Quote Originally Posted by bowtie4542001
    I just got through talking with VP and they suggest using C12. I guess I will have to bite the bullet. I have always used 110 I got from BP.
    Chris,
    Switch that SB over to Methenol,or E-85!That Race Fuel Price thing is BU!!$#!T!!
    @13.8 that motor would be a GREAT E-85 Canadate!!
    You Here guys Complain about Alcohol.but @ 1.85 per Gallon,that about what 1 Runs takes for Me,1 to 1 1/2 Gallons.So there AINT NO Room for that OVERPRICED Race Gas around Here!!!
    Later
    G 8)

  7. #7
    Senior Member DYNO OPERATOR
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Douglasville Ga
    Posts
    474

    Re: Fuel

    Quote Originally Posted by bbchevy
    Quote Originally Posted by bowtie4542001
    I just got through talking with VP and they suggest using C12. I guess I will have to bite the bullet. I have always used 110 I got from BP.
    Chris,
    Switch that SB over to Methenol,or E-85!That Race Fuel Price thing is BU!!$#!T!!
    @13.8 that motor would be a GREAT E-85 Canadate!!
    You Here guys Complain about Alcohol.but @ 1.85 per Gallon,that about what 1 Runs takes for Me,1 to 1 1/2 Gallons.So there AINT NO Room for that OVERPRICED Race Gas around Here!!!
    Later
    G 8)
    I hear ya Greg. I believe that is the way I should of went to start off with. I had a choice between the two different carbs but I decided on the fuel cause it was easier to get.

  8. #8
    Senior Member RACING JUNKIE TheRabbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Augusta, Ga.
    Posts
    2,295
    VP113
    Offering substantial power gains at a competitive price, VP113 is oxygenated to street gas levels. Formulated for naturally aspirated engines with CRs up to approximately 14:1. VP113 makes up to 2% more power than competitive 110 octane fuels, with gains of 3-4% in engine applications with poor or marginal fuel vaporization qualities. Its oxygenation also yields a higher effective octane rating and greater protection against detonation. May require a tuning change, including increase in jet size, for optimum performance.

    I run the Q16, but this will work just fine for you.

  9. #9
    Senior Member DYNO OPERATOR
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Douglasville Ga
    Posts
    474
    Hey guys, appreciate all the info. Looks like I will be switching over to alcohol. I can get it for $5 a gallon vise $12.60 a gallon. I will be doing a lot of reading on what I need to do as far as maintenance and running top lube and all. Never ran alcohol before.

  10. #10
    Senior Member RACING JUNKIE curtisreed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    KIEFER, OK.
    Posts
    1,309
    Quote Originally Posted by bowtie4542001
    Hey guys, appreciate all the info. Looks like I will be switching over to alcohol. I can get it for $5 a gallon vise $12.60 a gallon. I will be doing a lot of reading on what I need to do as far as maintenance and running top lube and all. Never ran alcohol before.
    You will wonder why you didn't change over sooner after you start using it. JMHO

    Curtis


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Copyright © 2005-2016 RacingJunk.com All Rights Reserved.

Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of the RacingJunk.com
Terms of Use, Classifieds Disclaimer, Privacy Policy, and Cookie Policy