Cam Question

Old 07-10-2010, 08:18 AM
ajk
DYNO OPERATOR

Default Cam Question

I had a Comp Hyd. Roller cam that i had bought years ago.A friend of mine installed it in his motor (small block) he noticed the timing set looked a little goofy so he put a dial indicator on the cam face to find out it was not machined/ground flat. It was 2 thousanths out of true.He is a tool and die maker and was able to true it up on his mill but does anyone check this before installing the timing set? Just curious.....This was a brand new cam never used.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:28 PM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

Guys got a good eye if he can see .002 run out on the face of a cam, I know the gear had that little bit exaggerated but still.

And to answer you question, no, cant say I've never checked that before or that I felt the need too, but I am now.

Thanks>Cp
Old 07-16-2010, 05:31 AM
ajk
DYNO OPERATOR

I had talked to my friend yesterday and he said he was turning it over by hand and just noticed the gear looked goofy(and yes it was only .002).Otherwise he would have never caught it.Does anyone think that would be a problem down the line?Maybe wear out the chain?
Old 07-16-2010, 07:38 AM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by ajk
I had talked to my friend yesterday and he said he was turning it over by hand and just noticed the gear looked goofy(and yes it was only .002).Otherwise he would have never caught it.Does anyone think that would be a problem down the line?Maybe wear out the chain?
That's hard to answer, the bigger question would be did they cut the gears while locating on the flat part of the gear face? if so then the gears are perdictular to the face and there would be no runout on the gears, just side motion, and even if they wasn't you wouldn't have but a couple .0001's runout against the rollers.

JMO

Zip.