Lincoln mark 8 fan help

Old 07-04-2010, 09:47 AM
jag327
SHOW GUEST

Default Lincoln mark 8 fan help

I have a Lincoln mark 8 fan in a 82 camaro the motor is a 65 327 small block. When the fan is running when I'm out driving if go to get some gas I have to jump start the car every time. Can you tell what type of alternator I need to have the fan run off of the alternator and not the battery it only happens at idle. What is the best way to wired the fan up.

This is the only fan set up I could find that would cool the motor down some.

I have 2 70 amp relays 1 for the low and the other for the high speeds. I had my old alternator rebuild to a 140 amps. When I hook it up and ran the motor then I remove 1 of the battery post the motor stop running so I no the car is running off the battery at idle. The shop that rebuild the alternator told me I have to buy some kind of RV battery now so the fan wont kill the battery. The alternator will charge at 1800 rpm or run the car with the battery post remove if I keep the motor rev high. Any help on this. What type of alternator I need.
Old 07-04-2010, 01:02 PM
ssym
JUNIOR BUILDER

If you could find a smaller alternator pully it would effectively spin it faster at all RPM's.
Old 07-04-2010, 01:50 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

I am confused.If it is running while your driving the alternator should keep the battery charged.If the alternator is working how can you be sapping the battery? Are you leaving it run while you pump the gas and it runs the battery down? If that is the case I'd say get a new battery cause the fan shouldn't drain the battery in the amount of time it takes to pump gas. What am I missing here?
Old 07-04-2010, 05:56 PM
jag327
SHOW GUEST

It's when every time I stop and turn the car off. I have to jump the car. The mark 8 fan at idle will drain the battery down. The company that built the alternator did it wrong. If the car is at idle rpm 750 if I pull the battery cable of the post the car stops running. I'm trying to find the right alternator type to run this fan. The fan is from Lincoln Mark 8 1995 car. I had the alternator rebuild to 140 amps but now this thing has to rev up to 1600 to 1800 rpms to keep the fan from running off the battery.

[/img]
Old 07-04-2010, 06:11 PM
jag327
SHOW GUEST

[quote="ssym"]If you could find a smaller alternator pully it would effectively spin it faster at all RPM's.[/quote

Where can I find a smaller pulley..
Old 07-07-2010, 11:58 PM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

What todd said, a new battery sounds in order, that fan no matter how big it is or how many amps its drawing should not drain a battery in that short of a time.

Also, if the alternator wasn't done right, take it back???

OR

Bite the bullet and just buy a brand new hi amp alternator.

Another suggestion would be to install a bypass switch so that when you turn the motor off, you can turn the fan off.
To me, that would be the simplest thing to do :roll:

Goodluck, Cp
Old 07-27-2010, 07:06 PM
jag327
SHOW GUEST

Hi guys thanks for your help, I bought a power master alternator I thanks it's ok now. The only thing when the fan kicks on the motor drops down about 300 rpm. Is this the way they this work.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:07 PM
chevyart
MASTER BUILDER

Default alternators

sound like you need one of the modern type alternators that put out about 3/4 of their amps at idle. most alternators need to be up in higher rpm range to put out their 100-140 amps., and only give a small amount of amps at idle. if you are stuck in traffic with say a street rod that has electric fans, electronic iggy, maybe an electrictronic fan on tranny cooler andn a radio blasting, your cooling fans probably wont even begin to run with enough rpms to cool your ride. you should look into this type of alternator. no big deal to hook one up. also i would ALWAYS recommend a shroud with a mecfhanical fan or an electrc fan(a full shroud if possible.) even fork lifts have shrouds and they only go a few miles per hour, but can also overhaet, thats why they use a shroud chevy art
Old 09-26-2010, 12:37 PM
davfair
SHOW GUEST

Default enough amps

I just purchased a Lincoln Mark Viii fan for my ride. I won't be installing my till next spring but I have been doing a lot of research and the one thing I keep reading is that you need at least a 130amp alternator. I see you already have that issue covered along with the 70 amp relay. These are the only two requirements that everyone definately agrees on. Also how you activate the fan, I like your idea. I was considering doing mine the same way. Two relays, two switches,plain and simple. No electronic controllers to go bad. Just keep your mind on what your doing and keep your eyes on the temp guage.