starters/flexplates

Old 07-03-2010, 12:36 AM
qiksix
CRAFTSMAN

Default starters/flexplates

Hey guys, what starters/flexplates are you using for a 14:1 chevy. I've just stripped my 2nd scat flexplate. Being doing some research whats the difference between a pioneer and a scat flex, the scat(sfi) is zinc coated does this make it more brittle than the pioneer unzinced(for a word)? Whats the diff between sfi and non sfi, all i can tell is the scat has a coating and pioneer doesn't. OK now starters, do i need a 1.9, 2 or 3 hp, 3, 3.7, 4, 4.4 ratio and 9 or 11 tooth gear. Can someone please shed some light for me, i'm getting sick of pulling engines in and out.
Thanks Steve
Old 07-03-2010, 03:34 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

TCI Flexplate for me, they come powdercoated grey, take a grinder and take the powdercoating off around the converter bolts and the crank bolts.

SFI is a sanction deal, some classes require you to run SFI.

Starter, get a hi-trq starter for it. If your killing flywheels and starts it could also mean a few other issues, ground, low voltage, or timing.
Old 07-03-2010, 04:25 AM
TheRabbit
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by hammertime
TCI Flexplate for me, they come powdercoated grey, take a grinder and take the powdercoating off around the converter bolts and the crank bolts.

SFI is a sanction deal, some classes require you to run SFI.

Starter, get a hi-trq starter for it. If your killing flywheels and starts it could also mean a few other issues, ground, low voltage, or timing.
X2 on the ground, low voltage , timming issue.

I forget what brand flywheel I bought. I think it was a Jegs, but it was the heavy duty SFI certified flywheel. I've had a power master starter for 4 years on my bbc with 15.9 - 1 and no problems. (I also use a 16 volt battery. 12 volt use to be sluggish trying to start it.) I did have the starter rebuilt last winter. No problem with it, I just wanted it fresh.
Old 07-03-2010, 05:42 PM
qiksix
CRAFTSMAN

I have the starter grounded i'll look into the voltage and timing issue more.

Just wanted to know how big a starter i need to buy. Will a 2.8HP 3.7 ratio do the job?

Also what's your thoughts on the tilton vs the original covered nose style. I'm thinking the original style wouldn't tend to push the drive gear away from the flexplate?

I was thinking of getting a TCI flexplate this time.
Old 07-03-2010, 08:01 PM
TheRabbit
RACING JUNKIE

Make sure to check the voltage under a full load. And remember you can never (well I guess almost never) have to much or too many grounds.
Old 07-12-2010, 03:39 AM
chevyfireball
MASTER BUILDER

I used a CSR flexplate on my Camaro with no probs. A tilton high torque starter is good. If you run an MSD check whether it has the option to alter the timing for starting.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:32 AM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

Ive been using a jegs SFI flywheel & jegs mini starter on my 13.8-1 496 BBC with 41 Total Timing for the last 3 seasons with zero problems.

If I re-call, I paid $89 bucks for the starter, I caught it on sale.

Cp