Thread: Distributor sets at angle???

Distributor sets at angle???

I have a 72 LT-1 350 I recently bought that was a total rebuild. Has not been fired yet, and had no distributor. When I got one and dropped it in the distr. sets at an angle (at the distributor seat)in relation to the manifold. I`ve never seen this before. Its almost like the distr. hole in the manifold is towards the center to much??? Its a hurricane style single plane intake. I did see somes pics on the net of intakes with an angled seat for the distr. Whats the deal here, has anybody run into this problem?? Help!!

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    Could be that their mold slipped or they had a problem during the casting process and Q/A didnt catch it, I would not run it that way.

Cp
    ***IN GOD WE TRUST***

Thanx for the input, I think I`m gonna try another intake and take some measurements

If you look at a SBC or BBC close from the front or rear the distributor does tilt toward one side just a little.

Where the distributor sets on the manifold there is a good 1/8" gap on the outer side while the other side is resting on the manifold, very noticeable! I know oil would really run out of there. I read on one of these forums someone had the same issue and he took to a machine shop, they made him a tappered shim and I guess he ran it that way.....does`nt sound right to me?

If there is a gap then your intake isn't right but the distributor in a Chevy v8 will be at an angle.It's how they are.

I assume it is because the cam is in the center of the engine and the distributor has to be to one side for the gears to mesh. :?:

Senior Member MASTER BUILDER
    The dist.angle is to get the oil pump drive outside the rear main bearing bore.Nova79 I think you could have that intake machined to match one that's right.Be sure to check gear alinment and oil pump drive free play.Bill.

I never noticed that angle much until now... the bottom pic really shows how much it is... interesting.
    "I would walk through hell on Sunday before I fear the enemy"