Flo-Tek Small Block Chevy Alum. Cylinder Heads?

Old 06-07-2010, 03:17 PM
burnskustomz
DYNO OPERATOR

Default Flo-Tek Small Block Chevy Alum. Cylinder Heads?

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Flo-Te...ads,25120.html

Are they good to ok heads? I seen them and they are pretty darn cheap and I was wondering if they would be ok to run on a street/strip car the most I would do with them racing wise is bracket racing or Test-N-Tune are they good for the price now I know where some vortecs are but I can get these aluminum 1's cheaper and they are probably lighter than a vortec?
Old 06-07-2010, 07:04 PM
markdunlap
DYNO OPERATOR

Default Flo-tek

Call them up and ask them what city in the USA they are cast in, what city in the USA they are finished in and what name is cast into the heads. If they studder, then chances are they are Asian. That may not be a bad thing for the street, but may not be a good thing if you are going to turn some Revs at the track.

That $75 per head difference between bare castings and complete looks a little too cheap to me to be very good parts.

Some bare heads require valve seat work, resurfacing and guide clearancing plus grinding the new valves, setting spring heights and pressures and assembly cost, whether they are USA or Foreign origin.
And the cost of quality valves, springs, retainers, keepers, seals, shims, etc. add up to more than $150, more like $300.

For $750 for Flow-Me-Tek assembled heads I might want to look around for some Pro Action/ Pro Topline/ RHS/ Comp Cams heads. I have bought new alumninum ones assembled with good parts for less than $100 on this site.
They are cast in New Zealand in an up to date foundry and finished in USA, I believe.
Old 06-07-2010, 08:10 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: Flo-Tek Small Block Chevy Alum. Cylinder Heads?

Originally Posted by burnskustomz

Are they good to ok heads? I seen them and they are pretty darn cheap and I was wondering if they would be ok to run on a street/strip car the most I would do with them racing wise is bracket racing or Test-N-Tune are they good for the price now I know where some vortecs are but I can get these aluminum 1's cheaper and they are probably lighter than a vortec?
I don't know if they are better than other heads, but i've had them on my El Camino since 2000, i bought them as a kit form for $995.00, they came with a cam,lifters, and pushrods at that time. It has run 8.46 at Holly Springs Ms. with street tires. I've never had any problems with them, except they sent the wrong length pushrods with the kit which i still have the wrong pushrods, and no you cannot buy the Elky it's a car i will die with it, i restored it ground up 23 yrs. ago and it still has the same paint that i put on it at that time.

Zip.

Zip.
Old 06-07-2010, 08:20 PM
burnskustomz
DYNO OPERATOR

I hear you same with my truck!!! Aint no1 getting it unless im in a grave and idk if they'll get it then!! LOL
Old 06-08-2010, 01:23 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: Flo-Tek Small Block Chevy Alum. Cylinder Heads?

Originally Posted by zipper06
Originally Posted by burnskustomz

I don't know if they are better than other heads, but i've had them on my El Camino since 2000, i bought them as a kit form for $995.00, they came with a cam,lifters, and pushrods at that time. It has run 8.46 at Holly Springs Ms. with street tires. I've never had any problems with them, except they sent the wrong length pushrods with the kit which i still have the wrong pushrods, and no you cannot buy the Elky it's a car i will die with it, i restored it ground up 23 yrs. ago and it still has the same paint that i put on it at that time.

Zip.

Zip.
Sorry i miss read the ad, i put trick flow heads on my Elky, not flo-tek heads.

Zip.