Thread: 84 chevy 454 dually crew cab/towing

Junior Member APPRENTICE

84 chevy 454 dually crew cab/towing

hi, i have a 84 chevy crew cab with a 454. the motor was replaced about 18,000 miles ago (gm good wrench engine) truck has about 59,000 original miles.the o-jet carb has been messed with and i was thinking of putting an edelbrock performer intake#2161 and a #1411 750cfm carb.the motor has a/c and there are 2 air pumps on this engine.i was thinking of removing the air pumps and plugging the holes in the cast iron exhaust manifolds.
    tried rebuilding this carb and this carb has been worked on before as they ground away part of the base plate so they could try to adjust the air/fuel screws.i would think that buying a reman carb would be more expensive than the edelbrock carb, and the reman carb may be as bad as the one that we rebuilt. any advice/input on this? THANKS gary m

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE

Re: 84 chevy 454 dually crew cab/towing

Quote Originally Posted by gmare588
    hi, i have a 84 chevy crew cab with a 454. the motor was replaced about 18,000 miles ago (gm good wrench engine) truck has about 59,000 original miles.the o-jet carb has been messed with and i was thinking of putting an edelbrock performer intake#2161 and a #1411 750cfm carb.the motor has a/c and there are 2 air pumps on this engine.i was thinking of removing the air pumps and plugging the holes in the cast iron exhaust manifolds.
    tried rebuilding this carb and this carb has been worked on before as they ground away part of the base plate so they could try to adjust the air/fuel screws.i would think that buying a reman carb would be more expensive than the edelbrock carb, and the reman carb may be as bad as the one that we rebuilt. any advice/input on this? THANKS gary m
    Holley PROJECTION!!!
    Later
    G 8)

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    I'd buy a new/reman quadrajet that is correct for that truck and leave everything hooked up as it was from the factory. I hate a vehicle that has been jury rigged up..even if it works I can't stand it. JMO

Senior Member DYNO OPERATOR
    Quote Originally Posted by Tod74
    I'd buy a new/reman quadrajet that is correct for that truck and leave everything hoked up as it was from the factory. I hate a vehicle that has been jury rigged up..even if it works I can't stand it. JMO
    Agreed! A properly set up q-jet is hard to beat for a daily driver. A factory throttle body injection setup would be nice though... if done right.
    I'd stay with a q-jet if it was mine,
    Johnny

Junior Member APPRENTICE
    hi, thanks for the replies.i am going to give this carb another chance, as i really have not run the truck since the carb rebuild.THANKS gary m