exhaust zommies

Old 05-10-2010, 07:39 PM
skyhighracing
APPRENTICE

Default exhaust zommies

im building a new vega tube chassie car and will be running my 470 bbc in it.i ran 970s in the 1/4 mile with my full bodied monte, so should have no problem pushing this new car down the track.my question is would it hurt my peformance to run zommies on this car. i ran 2 1/4 " super comp open headers out the side just behind the front tire no mufflers. so just looking for some input on running zommies. just want to be different. thanks.
Old 05-11-2010, 05:21 AM
johnracer
DYNO OPERATOR

They'll look cool and sound cool but they'll almost certainly slow it down a bunch. I tried some on my fed and they slowed it by over a tenth....not worth it imo unless you're blown or class rules require it.
Johnny
Old 05-11-2010, 09:18 AM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by johnracer
They'll look cool and sound cool but they'll almost certainly slow it down a bunch. I tried some on my fed and they slowed it by over a tenth....not worth it imo unless you're blown or class rules require it.
Johnny
X2,
They look cool as hell but they'll slow you down one to two tenths over a good set of headers on a normally asperated engine. Been there and done that.

Zip.
Old 05-11-2010, 06:50 PM
skyhighracing
APPRENTICE

ok thanks, that's what i wanted to know. someone who has been down that road. thanks
Old 05-12-2010, 02:08 AM
shawnp
RACING JUNKIE

I know in talking with Tim at The Fab Shop that they did a dyno session where they ran upswept, downswept and zoomies on the same motor. What they found was the zoomie on average was 40hp down from a standard header.
Old 05-15-2010, 05:04 PM
demented
JUNIOR BUILDER

I asked the same questions about zoomies and found very similar answers about them EXCEPT when it comes to big cubes and nitrous. I also spoke to Tim at Fabshop and we discussed the use of zoomies on my 622ci bbc and the amount of nitrous I use and we came to the conclusion that I would not notice any difference between a nice set of 4 to1 headers or a set of zoomies and he was right. My car did not change at all as far as performance. I did lose some weigh and they do sound cool. I like the zoomies on this motor but any thing else should use a good 4 into 1 header that is matched to the motor.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:36 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

I think the collector effect begins to change as the nitrous goes up, somewhere around 200/250 shot, nitrous being alot like a blower or nitro, introducing it's own oxygen into the cylinders. You'll notice that the true 10.5 big inche 3 stage nitrous motors still run collector headers but they are short primaries, like 24" long into collectors, gaining on the bottm end but not losing it on the top end. also the A fuelers run zoomies but they are running nitro which also introduces oxygen into the cylinders.

Just a guess because i don't run nitrous or nitro

Zip.