cashiers check scams

Old 04-23-2010, 07:35 AM
fastHEMIdart
APPRENTICE

Default cashiers check scams

Anybody get scamed by accepting a cashiers check ? Bank told me its not garenteed even though they cash it !! Said up to 2 weeks later if they find it was fake I'm out the cash !!!!
To many scams , just trying to sell a car. Lol
Old 04-23-2010, 02:52 PM
bigray
DYNO OPERATOR

postal Money orders ONLY>>
Old 04-23-2010, 04:14 PM
BEAST477
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by bigray
X2
Old 04-23-2010, 04:44 PM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

As looooooong as this particular scam has been in circulation and as much media exposure it has had over the YEARS, I am AMAZED at just how many folks are unawares, unwary, and unsmart enough to fall for it..........
Old 04-23-2010, 09:32 PM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by DrivingMissDD
As looooooong as this particular scam has been in circulation and as much media exposure it has had over the YEARS, I am AMAZED at just how many folks are unawares, unwary, and unsmart enough to fall for it..........
Aint that the truth.

But like my dad always says, theres a dumba$$ born everyday.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:48 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Someone tried it on my boss when he sold a Harley...I saw the check and I can tell you first hand it was a VEEEERY good fake.
Old 04-24-2010, 04:25 AM
Oldewalnut
SENIOR BUILDER

Default mo

Originally Posted by bigray
I do almost all internet purchases with a bank or postal money order.
Old 04-24-2010, 06:17 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

If I accept a money order its waiting 2 weeks before I send it out ... just how it is, got to cover yourself. Dont matter if its postal or not they all can be made fake ...
Old 04-25-2010, 03:04 AM
jim383
JOURNEYMAN

I'm about to sell a car to someone in Canada,I was thinking of getting him to do a wire transfer from his bank to mine. Ayn problems with this?
Old 04-25-2010, 05:31 AM
dcress1127
APPRENTICE

Lots of folks don't like advice and some never seek it, but blunder ahead and get burnt.

As an enthusiast, I have bought and sold a large number of cars over the years (I am nearing 70). Rule of avoiding scams. SLOW DOWN, never be in a hurry to sell a car ESPECIALLY in todays sick society.

CASH is king? Well, yeah, if it isn't counterfit, but counterfit money is as common as cashiers checks today.

GET complete identification from your buyer regardless of how your transaction is handled. Record license plates of truck/trailer or the drive away plate they put on the car. DO NOT let then transport your car with your plate. DO keep the vehicle insured for the next 30 days. All problems will materialize in that time. IF the sale is fake IT IS a stolen vehicle. File a report.

DO NOT DO BUSINESS IF THE BANKS ARE CLOSED. Take cash to the bank BEFORE releasing the car and have it certified for deposit.

WIRE TRANSFERS. OPEN AND USE AN ACCOUNT FOR A SINGLE TRANSACTION AND THEN CLOSE IT. Some banks may charge up to $50.00 for the transaction......cheap insurance.

NO TEST DRIVES without you in the car. A prospective buyer who operates your vehicle in a reckless manner leaves you liable. IF the idiot can't judge the performance without doing a burn out he is just an idiot. Don't be taken down the same road. You can be fined and in some states your vehicle confiscated if you allow anyone to drive under certain conditions.

Taking trades? Make damn sure that every number matches up and the title is completed properly. Doubts check DMV. I've seen stolen vehicles used as trades...it happens.

I hope some of these tips might help someone.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -