Head gasket leak

Old 04-19-2010, 05:28 PM
skipjobe
CRAFTSMAN

Default Head gasket leak

I have a lt1 turbo charged with aluminun heads. I blew the head gaskets and just replaced them, went to the track and they detected coolant. I got the car home and did a pressure test on the cooling system and the head is leaking coolant right next to the front head bolt on cylinder #2 I put dye in the motor and oil is dripping from the same spot. I used felpro 1074 with the flattened copper wire recommended for this motor. I have ordered a new gasket for this side. Any suggestions of what the problem is. This is a 94 Camaro and it is a time consuming project to change a gasket. I used head studs could one of the studs allow oil and water to pass the head? It runs fine and no water in the oil and I am getting a very small drip of water and oil.
Old 04-19-2010, 05:45 PM
HutTravis
SHOW GUEST

Did you use thread sealer on the studs when you put them into the block? If not that could be your leak, if you did then id get the flatness of the head/deck checked.
Old 04-19-2010, 05:58 PM
skipjobe
CRAFTSMAN

Default Leak

I used ARP thread sealer and had the heads resurfaced.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:56 PM
bbchevy
RACING JUNKIE

Default Gasket

1-Did they Mag the Head?
2-Are you sure you dont have a Intake Gasket leaking and the Coolant is just running down the Head?
Later
G 8)
Once you pull the Gasket,see if you can detect where theres a Trail of Coolant running?
Old 04-19-2010, 08:24 PM
skipjobe
CRAFTSMAN

Default Head gasket leak

No they didn't magnaflux the heads but the man has been building race motors for years and said they were good to go. I am sure when I ran the pressure test you could actually see the water run out of the head between the block and the head.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:38 PM
ccperf721p
SENIOR BUILDER

Magnafluxing wouldn't do any good on the aluminum head.

I personally use loctite 569 anaerobic sealant. I just make sure everything is in place so that once I apply sealer to the first stud, I can finish installing that head within 20 minutes. Let it set for a day or two before putting any water in the block. Never have issues doing it this way.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:19 PM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

Indian head gasket sealer comes to mind, I love that shiit.
Old 04-20-2010, 11:53 AM
bbchevy
RACING JUNKIE

Default Mag

Originally Posted by ccperf721p
Magnafluxing wouldn't do any good on the aluminum head.

I personally use loctite 569 anaerobic sealant. I just make sure everything is in place so that once I apply sealer to the first stud, I can finish installing that head within 20 minutes. Let it set for a day or two before putting any water in the block. Never have issues doing it this way.
Guess I MISSED the Alu.Head Part?And Still dont see that...........?
SORRY!
G
Old 04-20-2010, 01:50 PM
skipjobe
CRAFTSMAN

Could oil be leaking through a head stud? I don't see how. It took me 3 days to change the gaskets last time so I want to exhaust all other possibilities before I start tearing it down.
Old 04-20-2010, 02:38 PM
gearhead1011
EXPERT BUILDER

Default Re: Head gasket leak

Originally Posted by skipjobe
I put dye in the motor and oil is dripping from the same spot....
.... I am getting a very small drip of water and oil.
If you are using a UV light to check this you may not be seeing oil. I have found that anti-freeze shows up under a UV light and looks like it has dye in it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -