Thread: oil fitting leak

Senior Member DYNO OPERATOR

oil fitting leak

I can't believe I'm having this much trouble with an oil fitting leaking. On the back of SBC I have an oil fitting 1/8 pipe thread to I believe 1/4 flare fitting for oil pressure gauge. When I tighten the fitting, it bottoms out. So that tells me somebody taped the 1/8 pipe threads in the block to deep. The fitting is tapered threads and won't get tight.
    My question is how the hell do I fix this? I was thinking of putting a nipple in the block instead of the fitting but I think it will do the same thing. So I was thinking about putting some kind of thread locker or JB weld around the fitting threads to help seal it. Ialso have an o-ring fiiting that I was thinking about using with thread locker or JB weld. I guess I will have to countersink the hole to help seat the o-ring.

Do you guys have any suggestions?
    Thanks for your help

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE curtisreed's Avatar
    ops: ops: Misunderstood, thought it was bottoming out at the end of the fitting.

Curtis

Senior Member MASTER BUILDER
    If one of the fitings You have has a hex that that a small copper washer will seal on that might work.Bill.

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    A short piece of 1/8 brass pipe threaded on both ends should fix it,they sell these at most auto stores, then put an adaptor to the pipe. No matter how deep the pipe has too go it should seal because the threads run out on the pipe O.D..

JMO

Zip.

Senior Member DYNO OPERATOR
    Thanks guys I really appreciate it. I'll do this tonite

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE TheYellaBrick's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zipper06
    A short piece of 1/8 brass pipe threaded on both ends should fix it,they sell these at most auto stores, then put an adaptor to the pipe. No matter how deep the pipe has too go it should seal because the threads run out on the pipe O.D..

JMO

Zip.
    X2
    TRUTH is HATE
    to those who
    HATE TRUTH

God Bless our folks in uniform
    "We the People, have your backs"
    http://www.racingjunk.com/profile/279898