Transmission problems

Old 03-31-2010, 06:40 PM
rich427
SHOW GUEST

Default Transmission problems

I just scanned through the first dozen or so threads. It seams that you're having nothing but problems when trying to go fast with an automatic trans. When are you going to figure it out. A stick will solve ALL of your problems. :twisted:
Old 04-01-2010, 03:43 AM
shawnp
RACING JUNKIE

LOL. Must be a UMTRA guy. No issues going fast here with a glide. Don't think the guys going 6.60's and 6.70's at 200MPH plus had a problem at Zmax in top dragster or top sportsmen. But heck, what do I know.
Old 04-01-2010, 04:56 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by shawnp
LOL. Must be a UMTRA guy. No issues going fast here with a glide. Don't think the guys going 6.60's and 6.70's at 200MPH plus had a problem at Zmax in top dragster or top sportsmen. But heck, what do I know.
How about the ADRL guys APD does motors for .. going 3.9's with a powerglide in the 1/8th
Old 04-02-2010, 05:24 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Haha, now that's funny, A STICK, to go fast. Nobody goes fast with a stick, unless they have $1200.00 multi-disc slipper clutches. The only person here the forum that i know of who runs a 4 sp. successfully is Vince Tosto, and he's not trying to go fast, in the S/ST class a 10.90 index.
The first fast car i ever build had a 4 sp turbo-hydramatic, in 1964, from that time on automatics evolved into what they are today, UNBEATABLE.

JMO

Zip.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:28 AM
outlaw28
APPRENTICE

The only way you will go fast with a stick is if a big bad motherfr is chasing you with it lmao :lol:
Old 07-12-2010, 03:18 PM
gearhead1011
EXPERT BUILDER

It's all a matter of personal preference. I run a 5 speed Liberty with a fairly low dollar sintered iron disc and adjustable pressure plate. Not a lot of HP but I have gone 5.45 in the 1/8 and 8.76 in the 1/4. $1,200 for a clutch? I don't think that's bad compared to what guys spend for a good convertor and then there's the hassle of sending to someone to cut it open every time it needs tweaked. I can make adjustments on mine in a matter of minutes at the track.

It's a fact that a manual tranny uses less HP so almost any car will go faster with a properly set up clutch and manual transmission, provided the driver is capable.

Yeah, I'm a UMTR guy but I only joined that organization a couple of years ago I have been a gear banger my whole life.

I think rich427 is having a little fun with you guys.

And what could possibly be more fun than this...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWCe3Mfm2OU