Thread: turbo 400 shifting problems

turbo 400 shifting problems

i am having trouble with a trans that i rebuilt shifting at higher rpms (between 4 and 5 thousand) at normal driving throttle pressure. this trans was rebuilt with new plates composites bushings and seals. new shift modulator too. i also installed a b&m shift kit,(stage two). i have tried adjusting the modulator, and checking vacuum. but before i dig in to it again, i would like some ideas to look for. this is not the first trans i have done but i don't do them enough to be an expert at them. any suggestion would be greatly apprieciated. thanks ops:

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    Have you got it in 3rd gear at all? Does it not shift at all? Need some more detail on the problems

I don't know for sure but it sounds like you may have a problem with the govner hanging up. About a 100 yrs. ago we used to drill holes in the govner weights to carry the shift point higher.

Again i don't know if this is the problem, just guessing.

Zip.

ya the trans shifts into all gears. last night i looked again at the shift points and it shifted from 1 to2 at 4100 and 2 to3 at 4700. with just enough throttle to get to the rpm. with the car on jack stands it shifted at 3000.

What stall is the convertor? How much hp and torque are you making?

2500 stall b&m . the motor never dynoed but i think 500 hp. 454 with ported ls6 heads and cam rpm range 1800 to 5500. winters stock rectangle intake 9.5 compression. 3:42 gears