Thread: Installing new floor pan, transmission tunnel and firewall

Senior Member MASTER BUILDER

Installing new floor pan, transmission tunnel and firewall

I would like to put this stuff in my 67 camaro. I don't have a clue as to the sequence of doing this or rather to use aluminum for the floor or steel. A real beginner. Any help would be appreciated.

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE lively's Avatar
    IF YOU HAVE PATIENCE--WILL LISTEN TO OTHERS ADVICE AND NOT BE-- AFRAID OF GETTING DIRTY/CUT UP/AND SMASHED FINGERS ---YOU CAN DO IT AND BE HAPPY WITH YOUR WORK :lol: :shock:
    DO NOT BE AFRAID TO ASK ??????????
    LIVELY

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    x2
    also i would suggest the steel and get it in 1/2 sections ie fronts and rears (with tunnels in) and brace doors and side to side to prevent body flexing
    CRIMEDOG
    Sam Wood

How do the floor pans attach to the frame or do I need to build lips out from the frame to attach them? Also do I do the firewall first? Thanks.

Senior Member DYNO OPERATOR
    Is it still a unibody/subframe connector car or does it have a full chassis?
    If it's unibody, I wouldn't cut out any of it unless you plan on welding in stock replacement parts because the floor is the frame from the front suframe back and any roll bar/cage is attached to it.
    Why are you replacing the floor? Rust or weight? If it has a full chassis, and you plan on replacing the firewall, I'd do it first, then build the floor. It'll need aome sort of x-bracing under it for support and attachment.
    Johnny

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    if using stock replaceents order them the over lay mark out the dementions then leave 1/8 or ore for final triming but make sure to brace up body. my opinion is pans first then fire wall
    CRIMEDOG
    Sam Wood

The frame/chassis is stock. The most important part to replace in reality is the transmission tunnel and the firewall. I can live with the floor pan. No rust.