Can I block PG cooler line fittings?

Old 03-07-2010, 09:42 AM
triniemi
JUNIOR BUILDER

Default Can I block PG cooler line fittings?

What happens if I just block the oil circulation from the cooler? Does something break or what? My tranny guy told me that powerglide is designed so that if cooler gets filled with trash, particles etc, the tranny still works.

Original tranny case and I think it's original pump.
Old 03-07-2010, 11:12 AM
shawnp
RACING JUNKIE

You circulate from the trans into the cooler and then out to the trans so, the only place the cooler can pick up any debris is thru the fluid coming into it. If you got debris that is going to create circulation problems in the cooler, you have bigger problems in the trans. If you eliminate the trans cooler, your trans temps are going to get ridiculous and your trans is not going to like that either.
Old 03-07-2010, 03:47 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: Can I block PG cooler line fittings?

Originally Posted by triniemi
What happens if I just block the oil circulation from the cooler? Does something break or what? My tranny guy told me that powerglide is designed so that if cooler gets filled with trash, particles etc, the tranny still works.

Original tranny case and I think it's original pump.
maybe he meant he blocked the cooler bypass off ??
Old 03-08-2010, 07:02 AM
triniemi
JUNIOR BUILDER

No, I meant just what I wroted on the first post. I didn't have cooler in my PG with last 150 passes, changed oil every 50 passes and it seemed to be ok. Tranny temp never got over 180F.

I have just line that goes out and then back in the case and that line has leak so I thought maybe I could just block the cooler line fittings completely.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:33 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by triniemi
No, I meant just what I wroted on the first post. I didn't have cooler in my PG with last 150 passes, changed oil every 50 passes and it seemed to be ok. Tranny temp never got over 180F.

I have just line that goes out and then back in the case and that line has leak so I thought maybe I could just block the cooler line fittings completely.
It has to still be looped for the fluid to move if not you'll have major issues.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:53 AM
shawnp
RACING JUNKIE

I got to ask why would you not want to run a cooler? Is this a car that is towed to the line with very little run time to build any type of heat? You would still want a loop for circulation purposes but that is just my opinion.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:29 PM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

X3 you've got to loop them.

To me, looping the transmission "COOLING" lines would be the equivilent of looping the radiator hoses, it's never a good idea to take the cooler part of the equation, wheter you "THINK" you need it or not.

If your tranny is only running 180 degrees then think how cool it would be if you did have a cooler? You might not even have to change the fluid then? It for sure would last longer, it only takes a small cooler to do alot of work and IMO installing one would be, by far, one of your better investments.

JM> 2 cents, Cp
Old 03-09-2010, 02:13 AM
chevyfireball
MASTER BUILDER

Its your decision whether or not to run a cooler, but the cooler you can keep that glide, the better. DO NOT plug the inlet and outlet. You must run a loop or you're headed for problems.
Old 03-09-2010, 05:49 AM
itsabird
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by chevyfireball
Its your decision whether or not to run a cooler, but the cooler you can keep that glide, the better. DO NOT plug the inlet and outlet. You must run a loop or you're headed for problems.
X2
Old 03-09-2010, 08:53 AM
triniemi
JUNIOR BUILDER

Originally Posted by chevyfireball
What kind of problems?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -