Ford 429-460 top timing sprocket with 2 dowel pins

Old 02-27-2010, 05:55 AM
markdunlap
DYNO OPERATOR

Default Ford 429-460 top timing sprocket with 2 dowel pins

I am rebuilding a 522 Ford engine based on a 429 - 460 4 bolt block. It has been used in tractor pulling. It has a ROLLMASTER brand billet timing set and a CRANE R270 roller cam. The cam has 2 5/16" dowel pins to locate the top sprocket in addition to the center bolt. The top sprocket has 2 dowel holes which appear to be factory original.
The chain is a little on the loose side and probably needs replaced. I know it was not replaced on the last rebuild and is probably 5 years old. I ordered a JP Performance billet timing set (made in Austrailia) for this engine. It only has 1 dowel pin hole. Supposedly the Cloyes sets only have hole 1 also. Also it has been said JP bought out Rollmaster and now no parts are available to fit this setup.
Anyone care to share their knowledge on this queery? Being a Chevy guy I just don't know.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:53 PM
herbtfx
SHOW GUEST

Call BHJ they have a jig for the Ford dual timing dowel pin sprocket conversion....its a fairly popular item for reliability in the Ford camps.