Up swept headers vrs Down swept headers

Old 02-21-2010, 09:38 AM
pitreracing
SHOW GUEST

Default Up swept headers vrs Down swept headers

Is there any performance difference between Up swept dragster headers and Down swept? Or is it just a owner preference?
Old 02-21-2010, 09:42 AM
TS1955
DYNO OPERATOR

Go with down swept headers...Upswept are a pain in the butt and are always in the way. Especially when they are hot.

TS1955
Old 02-21-2010, 10:29 AM
pitreracing
SHOW GUEST

Looking back a few years, it seem the up swept headers with mufflers was the most favorite. But now in the staging lane, the majority are running down swept. Was just wondering if they have any difference in performance. You are right, down swept will be more convenient and that’s the type I'm going with
Old 02-21-2010, 10:59 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

There is some difference in ET but very little, both had plus and minus to them, downs are easier to work on and take trans out .. ups keep a car clean as they catch the dirt on the bottom of the collector

Either one you get make sure you do not get the wrong size for your comob
Old 02-21-2010, 11:26 AM
shawnp
RACING JUNKIE

In having this conversation with Tim at The Fab Shop, he found that his design of upswept headers actually put up better dyno numbers. I don't believe there was a significant amount for everyone to start selling off downswept headers.

Personally, the only reason we ever ran upswept headers was for the space needed when hauling 2 dragsters in the trailer. I like the looks of the downswept header and they are out of the way of getting to the nitrous bottle and the dial board. Like David mentioned, they are also nice when working on the top half of the car or taking out the trans.