Thread: powerglide questions

Member JOURNEYMAN

powerglide questions

Hello All:
    Looking for some opinions from the powergide pro's. I was having issues with fluid leakage from the rear seal.When the boys rebuilt my glide they said the rear cover was tore up.
    235 " rear engine dragster
    hard tail
    shortyglide w/brake
    I did feel the car bounce going on the stop and also had issues with tire/spin tire/chatter from 330 on. ( off the stop)
    Question
    Did this issue occur from tire bounce/spin?
    Do i have a alignment issue occuring?
    Do i have no idea what i'am talking about! (best answer)
    Any Opinions
    Thanks Mike

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    Mike is this a coupler or driveshaft ?
    I've never seen bounce/spin cause a issue before, I've ran some crappy tracks with hardtails and never had a issue. Is it just leaking around the seal itself ?

Mike

You very well could have early signs or alignment issues. I spent some time talking to Don Higgins from Crew Chief Pro. His car had a slight bend in the rear frame. This took the rear out of alignment and tore up a lot of things. I would check for square as a start. Will the bounce hurt it, not most likely the case but I would not rule it 100% out. Have you had your builder take a look to see if he can offer up some advice?

Member JOURNEYMAN
    Guy's
    Started to tke things apart and yes it is a alignment issue. Old Old hardtail car with coupler.I think also there may be a rail that bent. I will get it apart this weekend and resquare the motor/trans new mounts etc and keep saving for a new car in 2011.
    Thanks all
    Mike

Senior Member DYNO OPERATOR
    If you replace the rear seal after alignment issues, replace the rear bushing also,(or is it roller) doubt it.DR.

Member JOURNEYMAN
    Had to replace the rear cover, seal, bushing, so the boy's threw a kit in it also. hopefully i cured the alignment issue, will see what the next racing weekend brings
    thanks
    Mike

Does the coupler slide in and out of the yoke with no bind when the car is sitting on the rear wheels?

Member JOURNEYMAN
    Sorry for the delay, been racing.
    After i cut the mid mounts out and realigned ,yes i can slide the coupler.I was able to before, but i think i tweaked the rail. I have now reenforced it and so far (6 passes), everything is looking great! Now if i can just convince my wife i need a new car!
    Mike

Senior Member SENIOR BUILDER
    I see your from Arizona. Maybe its not necessaraly a new car you need, but a new track. :shock:

Member JOURNEYMAN
    Oh No!
    Any chance you were at the Firebird Div?
    What a mess!