spindle stagger

Old 02-16-2010, 03:10 PM
skyhighracing
APPRENTICE

Default spindle stagger

this is my first post on here.my ? is im having a new drag race tube chassie built and my builder ask me about the front spindle stagger.i was wondering if someone could explain the pros and cons of this.he told me that since i already know how to stage a car i should not need any stagger.what is your thoughts.thanks for your help. ray
Old 02-16-2010, 03:46 PM
TopspeedLowet
DYNO OPERATOR

Default Pro tree like no stagger but bracket or all out ET prefer it

Stagger in a the front tires gives the starting beams a larger target that will give a longer roll out. What will this do, this will give your car a running start at the starting beams and greatly improve your 60' times. This will also help you from going red in a fast bracket car and allow you to use less button than a car without stagger. The amount of stagger you run , example: if you have 25" front tires with 1" stagger would be the same as running 27" tire with no stagger. so if you run 26" tires which are common you will have the starting line roll out of a 28" tire with 1" stagger. NHRA allows a maximum of 1.25" in pro stock in the rule book. That is why I would run 1.375. There is advantages in ET. The negatives would be if you did not have much power and could not get out of the box quickly, this condition will make you have to leave earlier to get a good light. Pro tree guys that need all they can get on the tree prefer no stagger. Not much else negative about it. I would never not build a bracket car without stagger and I always go the max 1.25" cuz ET and speed is all that matters to me, how about you?
Bruce
Old 02-16-2010, 03:54 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Hey Bruce,

I think you meant 1.125 instead of 1.375, becauses with 1.375, you would be in violation of the 1.250 max rule.
:wink: just keeping you honest.

Zip.
Old 02-16-2010, 03:56 PM
TopspeedLowet
DYNO OPERATOR

Originally Posted by zipper06
Hey Bruce,

I think you meant 1.125 instead of 1.375, becauses with 1.375, you would be in violation of the 1.250 max rule.

Zip.
No, I meant 1.375". The rule is for sanctioned pro stock cars, not bracket cars that we race. I always hate to leave anything on the table in ET.
Bruce
Old 02-16-2010, 09:54 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by TopspeedLowet
Originally Posted by zipper06
Hey Bruce,

Zip.
No, I meant 1.375". The rule is for sanctioned pro stock cars, not bracket cars that we race. I always hate to leave anything on the table in ET.
Bruce
Rule # 4:12 page 270, specifly states 1" difference between left and right wheel base unless noted in classes.
I am in no way challenging your knowledge of the rules, becuse i know you are on top of most everything, i just would like to see where it says more than 1" stager on bracket cars. No this is not a pissin contest for the viewers and i don't want it too be, i just would like to see where it says more than 1" stager is legal in NHRA brackets.

Zip.
Old 02-17-2010, 02:26 AM
TopspeedLowet
DYNO OPERATOR

Default yes and no

I see your issue with my answer Zip, I was told that you can have a variation or .25 from max stagger to allow for a front end alignment. Made sense to me, because the NHRA director in division 3 told me this several years ago. I was asking if there was a rule in sportsman for such limits and I was told that there were none specific to this accept the safety limits which again made sense to me. The wheel base was not looked on as a safety issue by tech.
Do what you please on your own cars, but mine will ET better and show faster MPH than ones with less stagger. Thanks for pointing out the facts of the matter Zip. You are correct that the written book has a general statement for pro stock stagger, but the gray area is where the fast cars are running and that is where sportsman chassis reside.
Bruce
Old 02-17-2010, 02:37 AM
gnsrule
SENIOR BUILDER

Stager is determined anytime after 10pm on any givein raceday supplied w/ enuff alcohol and reaction time is the ability to control the shakes from the nite before.
A pissing match should only be performed w/ the supplied alcohol from above....and usually is anytime after midnite on any givein raceday.
Old 02-17-2010, 03:07 AM
BEAST477
RACING JUNKIE

Pretty witty for 6:30 in the morning (5:30) your time. I'm still laughing. :lol:
Old 02-17-2010, 05:23 AM
slowmotion
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by gnsrule
A pissing match should only be performed w/ the supplied alcohol from above....and usually is anytime after midnite on any givein raceday.
Just make sure you are going for distance and not facing each other.
Old 02-17-2010, 08:01 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

:lol: No pissin contest here, just two people discussing the rules, which is almost never checked at any track, i agree with TopspeedLowet everyone trys to get a little edge on the competition. I think that the stagger rule first came into effect a number of years ago when a prostock racer by the name of Reed Winsett, clearly left before the tree came on, but didn't redlight. Bill Grumpy Jekins was building motors for the guy that Reed beat and he was furious, thinking that Reed had a drop down plate to block the starting line beam. NHRA couldn't find anything at the time, Grumpy was so pissed that he actually laid down on his belly at the starting line beams the next round too see how he was doing it. I think Reed lost in the 3rd round with no one the wiser. It was later discovered that he had a ton of stagger, like 3" to 4" and that i think was when the rule was instated, but not for sure.
Anyway all is cool TopspeedLowet heck i've been know to put a dab of Nitro in on a heads up race which is also illegal.

Zip.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -