track mishap etiquette

Old 02-13-2010, 12:16 PM
whosyurdaddy
APPRENTICE

Default track mishap etiquette

I've watched several video's of track accidents and I was wondering if there is any etiquette as to financial responsibility when two cars get together ? I've heard people say they would pay for any damage they caused and others say that is a risk you take when you get on the track . Just wondering what everyone else has to say.
Old 02-13-2010, 01:52 PM
Pdmracing
CRAFTSMAN

what kind of racing are you talking about?

I road raced for 20+ years & have been taken out & vice versa with no one ever said they would pay for damage.

I would always go over to the other guy if it was my fault.
I did not go over if I was taken out, I would cool down first, & take it out on track if warrented.

I have offered to help work on the Guys car though, & I have repaired cars that I have co driven & crashed.

I took out a guy at Lowes once & we were at the corner worker station with a local yellow , he was HOT & was really screaming at me , I was yelling back trying to admit it was my fault. The look on his face when he realized what I was saying= priceless. he said he never had anyone admit a mistake.

But under most circumstances it comes under the catch all:

That's Racing!

there is danger in ANY form of racing & you need to be prepared for the worst, I saw a guy take out 3 cars at an autocross in a parking lot once almost killing my wife. & that was an event with a top speed of 60! SH@t happens, its not if, but when. Hitting a patch of anti freeze or oil & your along for the ride.
Old 02-13-2010, 04:43 PM
whosyurdaddy
APPRENTICE

I bracket race so I was wondering about that venue .Over the years I've raced dirt bikes , go carts and some auto cross and it's always been "that's racing " but with the large amounts of money some people have in their cars
I was curious . I saw two 8 second cars get together at Pinks here in Indy and it was some nasty damage . I guess it would be hard to say whether an accident is track related or driver error . Thanks
Old 02-14-2010, 07:34 AM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

well if this gives you any idea. You can purchase insurance ona drag car it covers it to the track,retrun road and even into stagging but THE coverage stops once the car is into its pass down the track.

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 02-14-2010, 08:09 AM
TopspeedLowet
DYNO OPERATOR

Default Wouldn't that be nice!

In NHRA drag racing, and all the tracks that I have raced at, it is a Sucks to be you deal. If two cars tangle during the run. There is no implied responsibility for either driver to pay for the others, that is the waver you sign at the gate, although I would hope that some stand up fellas do on a very rare occasion help pay if they feel they are at fault.
PS: I have not heard of anyone yet that has actually paid for someone else's car that they crashed into, but hope there are some out there that might.
Bruce
Old 02-15-2010, 06:03 AM
gearhead1011
EXPERT BUILDER

In '99 my car got into a little ATF that the car before me had sprayed about 100' out on his pass. I was in the right lane and the fluid was sprayed in the left groove of that lane. My car made a sharp left in front of the car in the left lane and I was broad-sided by that car and I ended up over the wall in the grass on my roof. Both cars were severely damaged. I did rebuild mine but got no help paying for the damage and I didn't offer to help the other guy with his. That's the risk you take in racing. It really wasn't anyone's fault although some would blame the track. There was no sign of any trouble before I hit the slick spot and I watched the guy that leaked the fluid make his pass. The guy that had left the ATF did apologize and really felt bad about it but there was never any offer to help pay for any of the damage.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:27 AM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

There was a thread on yellowbullet last year about a guy whos Chevelle was rearended in the staging lane...totaled it completely.
Old 02-15-2010, 11:27 AM
gearhead1011
EXPERT BUILDER

Originally Posted by Tod74
There was a thread on yellowbullet last year about a guy whos Chevelle was rearended in the staging lane...totaled it completely.
If that's the incident I think it is the guy that rear ended him was doing something stupid like testing the stall on the convertor or maybe it didn't have the neutral start switch on it. That's a different story altogether.
Old 02-15-2010, 01:00 PM
BEAST477
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by bjuice
well if this gives you any idea. You can purchase insurance ona drag car it covers it to the track,retrun road and even into stagging but THE coverage stops once the car is into its pass down the track.
Man bjuice, I thought you left the country it's been so long since I've seen you on here. :lol:
Old 02-15-2010, 01:40 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by gearhead1011
Originally Posted by Tod74
If that's the incident I think it is the guy that rear ended him was doing something stupid like testing the stall on the convertor or maybe it didn't have the neutral start switch on it. That's a different story altogether.
THAT'S THE ONE.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -