Installing new lifters BBC

Old 02-11-2010, 06:16 PM
dynaguy03
MASTER BUILDER

Default Installing new lifters BBC

So this is the first time im doing lifters in a bbc. I am using Isky Extreme duty roller X lifters.
So i wiped them down with a rag and wd40... i coated the outside body very lightly with engine assembly lube keeping all the oil holes open.. then putting a dab in the cup where the push rod rests.
Is this right?.. i know its a rookie question .. i apoligize but mistakes at the level im at can be big time costly ..'learning is fundamental" lol

thanks in advance
Keith
Old 02-11-2010, 07:02 PM
BEAST477
RACING JUNKIE

If you are talking about the EZX lifters without the needle bearings they do not recommend cleaning then with any thing just lube and install. Check your instructions.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:48 PM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by BEAST477
If you are talking about the EZX lifters without the needle bearings they do not recommend cleaning then with any thing just lube and install. Check your instructions.
X2

Also, check your pushrod length, I've heard that the new EZ roller lifters are taller thus requiring different length pushrods as compared to the conventional roller lifter.

Cp
Old 02-11-2010, 11:34 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Don't know anything about the Isky lifters without needle bearings..but Regular roller lifters I soak in oil for a couple of days before I put them in...Don't know if it is neccessary,but that's what I do.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:43 AM
BEAST477
RACING JUNKIE

Assembly instructions for E/Z roll bearing lifters

When preparing your E/Z lifters for assembly, please do NOT soak or clean the bearing with any solvent or cleaner!!!

E/Z roll bearings are assembled with a special, extremely high quality lubricant and do not require any additional lube or oil for break in.

You may of coarse clean the body, using a fresh cloth with solvent, then blow air into all oil holes. Lubricate the uotside of the lifter body with normal motor oil or assembly lube and you are ready to go.

This is per ISKY RACING CAMS

Hope this helps.
Old 02-12-2010, 05:56 PM
dynaguy03
MASTER BUILDER

Default lifters

Well ..i did not soak them in anything i just wiped the lifter down with a lint free rag with a little wd 40 on it.... the roller had brown rust preventitive on it it didnt seem like a "lube" was brown and hard.
So if i have the assembly lube on the body ..and wiped the lifter down.. am i in trouble?.
I hope i dont have a pushrod lenth issue... i had 2 friends replace them on a 565's no one had issue. Guess i better figure out how to check the lenth.

thanks
Old 02-12-2010, 06:11 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

CompCams, PT# 7901-1 adjustable push rod for checking correct geomerty and a 12" set of calibers.
Don't know what heads you have, but you would not believe the problems i just went thru getting the correct pushrods for a hydraulic roller conversion for a customer. He had Procomp heads on a b/blk chevy and it took 8 stock, and 8 .250 short pushrods to get the correct geometry. I had ordered some of the parts for him, and he had absolutly no knowledge about correct rocker geomerty. The only thing he saw was that some of the rockers was hitting the guide plate with the valve closed. Some people should absolutely not build their own engines, such as the guy i'm talking about.

Zip.
Old 02-12-2010, 06:28 PM
dynaguy03
MASTER BUILDER

Default pushrods

I am useing Dart 360 heads on this 582.. this motor had isky redzone lifters with the needle brgs -i switched to the isky no needle brg type.
Maybe i should give them a call make sure the lifter i had in there are the same demensions.... this motor was all together and running no issue except valve lash on #5 moved around -valve spring chked good
I hope i havent opened a can of worms here.
Old 02-13-2010, 03:58 AM
wmeabates
MASTER BUILDER

Put a ball bearing in the pushrod seat of 1 old and 1 new lifter and masure the differance with a dial caliper or mic.Bill.
Old 02-13-2010, 04:07 AM
wmeabates
MASTER BUILDER

What I just said about masuring Your lifters will only help You if Your geometry was good before the change.Bill.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -