effective old school slapper bars...

Old 02-09-2010, 06:34 PM
PxTx
SHOW GUEST

Default effective old school slapper bars...

Working on a 69 Nova with all of the old school parts. I would like to run a set of slapper bars. I really like the look of these ones here and I like the fact they are pushing on the spring eye.

Anyone know which make these are in the pic? Comments on what works well on a street/strip car? Really don't want anything post 1972.
Old 02-10-2010, 03:47 AM
JEFF69Z28
DYNO OPERATOR

I WOULD SAY LAKEWOOD,COOL PICTURE!
Old 02-10-2010, 05:25 AM
johnracer
DYNO OPERATOR

Lakewood or Competition Engineering make em, and while they're old school, they work! The 20 yo son of my best bud won the track champion in SP and King ofthe track for a Wally last year in a car a lot like that one.
70 Camaro with my ol 408 sb running high 10's up here in Co. He kicked all of our 4-link, big tired, dragster driving butts with it...... I had a similar setup in my 63 Nova and won 2 championships with it back in the day.
Old 02-10-2010, 08:13 AM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

VERY classic photo of a very classic Camaro !! I just LOOOOVE that year !
Old 02-10-2010, 09:53 AM
PxTx
SHOW GUEST

Old pics are cool. Here is another. I think this is the same type bar. I was really hoping somone might remember this design. It seems like an upside-down trapazoid, rather than the popular retangular box stock.

They may be Lakewood, but I don't know when CE began making bars. I would really like to find this style bar. I've also seen ones which are a wider, more square box as opposed to the rectangular ones you see today.

Seems like it's a shot in the dark just to have anyone ID them, let alone find a set. Thanks for the input!
Old 02-10-2010, 02:28 PM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

Wouldn't take but 1 hour to make some ! .125 wall 1 1/2" X 3" rectangular tubing, two spring plates, and two snubbers on studs. VOILA !
Old 02-10-2010, 04:23 PM
PxTx
SHOW GUEST

I realize they are not complicated to make. I don't want the rectangular box ones.

I would like to confirm the ones I've pictured were not home-made fab jobs and actually were produced by a known manufacturer. I suspect they were, just need to fine the right old speed catalog. If I can id what they are, it will help me locate a set.

I'm trying to keep this "historically correct" and want to use as many doccumented parts as possible. Thanks!
Old 02-10-2010, 04:50 PM
MEMRACING62
RACING JUNKIE

http://www.summitracing.com/search/?...n%20bars&dds=1
Old 02-10-2010, 08:43 PM
PxTx
SHOW GUEST

I appreciate the summit link. DOn't anyone take this the wrong way, but I don't want to buy a modern made slapper bar. I don't want to make my own.

I am looking to buy the old style, square or up-side-down trapazoid box/tube. I would expect to have to find them used, but since I don't know who originally made them, I was hoping there were a few old racers who might remember. If I know who made them, or maybe the model name it would help. Might even get lucky enough to find a NOS pair.

Hopefully it's not too bizarre for me to want to run low 11's or so with old school parts. Even the fuel system is old school. Anyopne remember the Autopulse "Pro-Stock" triplex fuel pumps?

Could only find an add for the duplex, but you get the idea.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:47 PM
mytmouz
RACING JUNKIE

The second car has a Lakewood contingency sticker on it...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -