"Any Tips" To Mount GIANT SLICKS On A 16x16 Beadlo

Old 02-04-2010, 02:39 AM
prostreetbuyer
APPRENTICE

Default "Any Tips" To Mount GIANT SLICKS On A 16x16 Beadlo

Whats The Best Method To Mount Giant Slicks On A 16x16 A Double Beadlock Wheel?
The Slicks Are Top Fuel 36-17.5-16
Old 02-04-2010, 04:30 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

beadlocks are easy the size where they mount is no different then a smaller tire. Just undo the bolts on the beadlocks, stick the tire on the rim and put the bead back on and tighten them like lug nuts @ 15ft lbs.

thats a big boy tire !! you must have some major HP/TQ :lol: :P
Old 02-04-2010, 09:10 AM
curtisreed
RACING JUNKIE

He was talking about liking 200mph over on the 1/8 mile for wussies thread. Maybe we will see some timeslips. That would be a ride for sure.

Curtis
Old 02-05-2010, 09:06 AM
THier
APPRENTICE

When I ran my sand dragger, I used the same tires with Super Scoopers. We had a horrible time mounting them. Now, before someone says use either, I do that all the time on truck and heavy iron tires, but the thin sidewalls of the slicks scared me. We had a problem getting BOTH beads close enough to the wheel to seal, so what we had to do is use duct tape, to pull top bead up, bottom bead dropped, we used a Cheeta tank to set beads, broke the top bead, removed the tape, flipped the tire over to allow the bead to drop down, and set the bead. PITA but it worked.

Bead lock would make it easier, as you can lock the top, bottom sidewall should drop low enough to seat.

Tom
Old 02-05-2010, 03:05 PM
gnsrule
SENIOR BUILDER

I wouldnt hesitate trying the either thing on a set of slicks. The either shot still only inflates em to like 1-2 lbs, low enuff that if your not ready w/ an air chuck, it will fall back off the bead.
As far as bead locks, I dont know personally ...yet. The new car has em but havent try them yet. I was under the impression that the beads are compressed to the rim thru the beadlock lock ring.

Craig
Old 02-05-2010, 05:35 PM
slickfuel
CRAFTSMAN

Beadlocks are straight forward to mount,..
First on the tire itself on the inside of the bead, take a razor blade and take off 1/8th of an inch at the flimsy part where the inner and outer cord meet,..do this on both sides of tire,..just trim it , dont go into the core
some of the 16 inch slicks dont require this, but it does make it real easy.
so now take the wheel and stuff it inside the tire,..all of it,..make sure you have your X`s facing to the right, the X is on the sidewall of the tire it is usually yellow,..your left rear would have the X facing inboard,.the right rear would be facing outboard,...so with the wheel inside the slick set the tire and wheel on a upside down 5 gallon plastic bucket with the wheel itself straddling the bucket,...now just align the bead on the wheel, you may have to use a rubber malet and slightly tap the tire down onto the wheel,..once you get it on all the way around, put your ring on, and get ALL the bolts started all the way around,..take them all down by hand till they stop (finger tight),..now in a star pattern and alternation tighten them down 4 or 5 threads each untill the ring is seated to the bead,..
Now I dont know if you have the older style beadlock with 18 bolts or the newer with 28,..but if the bolts are 3/8ths torque to 28-32 ft lbs if they are 5/16ths bolts 24 ft lbs,..if 1/4 16-to 18.....
Once they are all torqued go around it 2 more times,..WALL LA...
Now go get them balanced with flat weight on the inside, then with duct tape over the weights 4 inches each direction to help hold them inplace.
set tire pressure to 15 lbs on both and then bleed them flat after 5 minutes
then refill to 6 lbs and check rollout.

HAVEFUN,..Be sAFE
Old 02-06-2010, 08:31 AM
prostreetbuyer
APPRENTICE

that was great. thanks
Originally Posted by slickfuel
Beadlocks are straight forward to mount,..
First on the tire itself on the inside of the bead, take a razor blade and take off 1/8th of an inch at the flimsy part where the inner and outer cord meet,..do this on both sides of tire,..just trim it , dont go into the core
some of the 16 inch slicks dont require this, but it does make it real easy.
so now take the wheel and stuff it inside the tire,..all of it,..make sure you have your X`s facing to the right, the X is on the sidewall of the tire it is usually yellow,..your left rear would have the X facing inboard,.the right rear would be facing outboard,...so with the wheel inside the slick set the tire and wheel on a upside down 5 gallon plastic bucket with the wheel itself straddling the bucket,...now just align the bead on the wheel, you may have to use a rubber malet and slightly tap the tire down onto the wheel,..once you get it on all the way around, put your ring on, and get ALL the bolts started all the way around,..take them all down by hand till they stop (finger tight),..now in a star pattern and alternation tighten them down 4 or 5 threads each untill the ring is seated to the bead,..
Now I dont know if you have the older style beadlock with 18 bolts or the newer with 28,..but if the bolts are 3/8ths torque to 28-32 ft lbs if they are 5/16ths bolts 24 ft lbs,..if 1/4 16-to 18.....
Once they are all torqued go around it 2 more times,..WALL LA...
Now go get them balanced with flat weight on the inside, then with duct tape over the weights 4 inches each direction to help hold them inplace.
set tire pressure to 15 lbs on both and then bleed them flat after 5 minutes
then refill to 6 lbs and check rollout.

HAVEFUN,..Be sAFE
Old 02-06-2010, 11:11 AM
slickfuel
CRAFTSMAN

No Problem,....

Vic