need advice quick

Old 02-01-2010, 06:24 PM
bowhay
EXPERT BUILDER

Default need advice quick

im buyin new axles for my 83 chevy 1/2 ton
it has a 8.5 10 blt and it has c clip axles, now no one has c clip axles for it they r all back ordered, they have bolt in axles that are for my rear end though
what is the difference, can i use them or not i really need to know
Old 02-01-2010, 06:56 PM
MEMRACING62
RACING JUNKIE

did you try moser? strange? the only other route is c clip eleminators and non-c clip axles . for that your going to have to chop off the ends of your axle tubes where your bearings are now & install axles with c clip eleminators.
Old 02-01-2010, 07:17 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Bowhay, in all honesty, if you are going to someday put more motor in that thing,or run it with slicks,then I would use the bolt in/c clip eliminator style, because if you hook hard and bust an axle,it will keep the axle in the rear end.With c clip axles,if you break one the axle can come out and tear the side of the car/truck all to hell or worse cause you to wreck...BUT, if you just have a mild small block like I think you have, I would just wait and get the axles that fit the rear that you have now(c clip). I do not think you need the bolt in style for your application. Just my opinion. The bolt in style is better, but I am sure there are other things you could spend your money on...Again..JUST MY OPINION and I am not saying your truck doesn't make any power.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:37 PM
bbchevy
RACING JUNKIE

Default AXLE

BOWAY,
Please dont take this the Wrong way,I'm only trying to HELPYou!Cause I have BEEN There and Done it!
Unhook that 8.5,go down the Bone yard and Find a 9" Ford Rear that is Close the rite Width,with a 31 spline axle.And,for less than what you are going to drop on any of the Rear-End Parts for the Junk 8.5?You will have a Rear-End that you can get just about any Parts that you Need for a Thrid of the Parts for the 8.5?This is J.M.O.!
Later
G 8)
Old 02-02-2010, 01:16 AM
blowninjected540
EXPERT BUILDER

Default Re: AXLE

Originally Posted by bbchevy
BOWAY,
Please dont take this the Wrong way,I'm only trying to HELPYou!Cause I have BEEN There and Done it!
Unhook that 8.5,go down the Bone yard and Find a 9" Ford Rear that is Close the rite Width,with a 31 spline axle.And,for less than what you are going to drop on any of the Rear-End Parts for the Junk 8.5?You will have a Rear-End that you can get just about any Parts that you Need for a Thrid of the Parts for the 8.5?This is J.M.O.!
Later
G 8)

X2 !!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-02-2010, 04:34 AM
MEMRACING62
RACING JUNKIE

X3!!!!!!
Old 02-02-2010, 07:01 AM
bowhay
EXPERT BUILDER

ok this is only for now, im puttin a narrowed 12 bolt in it later on im just tryin to beef ur the rear cus i just put a 175 shot of spray in the 383 and i know the axles wont hold, the combo i have now is just to get used to drag racing at the track next season il have a bbc with the 12 blt
Old 02-02-2010, 07:07 AM
bbchevy
RACING JUNKIE

Default Axle

B/W,
Dont BOTHER with the 12-Bolt,your NOT Gaining Much over the 8.5.Put the 9" in and BE DONE!Listen to Me,this is not the 1st Rodeo for me?I just seen a Complete 9" center w/Spool on the Classifieds for 225.00.The Gear for the 12 bolt will be More than that!
Not saying you Cant Break a 9",but when you add that rear Pinion bearing it SURE makes a LARGE Difference!
Later
G 8)
Old 02-02-2010, 04:19 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

I don't think he will break the rerend he has. It has to hook up before he tears the rearend out...at least that's my opinion....I might be wrong... BUT I am betting he is using the foot brake + It's a pickup truck...unless it is set up for drag racing,when he hits the spray he is going to light the tires up. JMO
Old 02-02-2010, 08:06 PM
bowhay
EXPERT BUILDER

it is set ur for racing, but im not gonna hit the spray off the line, ans yes its footbreak

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -