Thread: fuel presure gauge test

Senior Member MASTER BUILDER

fuel presure gauge test

Does anyone know someone that can test Fuel gauges or is there a way I can do it, I have three 1.5'' gauges and all three of them show a different presure one shows 5# one shows 7# one shows 9# at the regulater these are all new gauges. I hate to keep buying them because now I wouldn't know if any of them are correct.
    Thanks Andy

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE

Re: fuel presure gauge test

Quote Originally Posted by andybyrd
    Does anyone know someone that can test Fuel gauges or is there a way I can do it, I have three 1.5'' gauges and all three of them show a different presure one shows 5# one shows 7# one shows 9# at the regulater these are all new gauges. I hate to keep buying them because now I wouldn't know if any of them are correct.
    Thanks Andy
    Theres ONLY 1 Gauge thats Worth Buying?
    A Liquid Filled Gauge(QUAILTY)!
    Later
    G 8)

Re: fuel presure gauge test

Quote Originally Posted by bbchevy
    Thanks Andy
    Theres ONLY 1 Gauge thats Worth Buying?
    A Liquid Filled Gauge(QUAILTY)!
    Later
    G 8)
    Greg I used to think the exact samething, until one day I reading on the www where when its close to the motor and the liquid filled gauges gets hot they read all goofy. I never really checked until after that but I can say for sure mine was silly when the motor was hot. I do still run them though as atleast when the motor is cool you still get a good setting.
    David Lanning
    IHRA NHRA 387B

Fleenor Racing Transmission
    419-280-1406
    Lanning Electric
    Complete Drag Car Wiring
    APD Race Engines
    www.apdracing.com

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE fla1976's Avatar
    A liquid filled gauge is good only if the inside movement is vented to the atmosphere. Most automotive type gauges are not vented. The atmospheric pressure in the gauge can cause significant errors in low pressure gauges. The outside barometric pressure and temperature changes make them less accurate. They were designed to give stable reading moreso than accurate readings. They are used on pumps and equipment that have extreme vibrations. An accurate gauge will be accessible from the outside so it can be adjusted during calibration. Most automotive gauges are considered disposable.

well it sounds like I'm not the only one that has had this problem. and 2 of the 3 gauges I have are liquid filled. and from my understanding the liquid is only to keep the needle steady. my non filled one is steady as the liquid filled ones. and Hammertime you may have something there with the heat. mine changed bad after the engine heated up and I made a run. is there any way of testing them to see if they are correct.
    Andy

well it sounds like I'm not the only one that has had this problem. and 2 of the 3 gauges I have are liquid filled. and from my understanding the liquid is only to keep the needle steady. my non filled one is steady as the liquid filled ones. and Hammertime you may have something there with the heat. mine changed bad after the engine heated up and I made a run. is there any way of testing them to see if they are correct.
    Andy
    I am not sure but Id think you can buy like a Nitro Flo gauge for the fuel side and check it someway ??
    David Lanning
    IHRA NHRA 387B

Fleenor Racing Transmission
    419-280-1406
    Lanning Electric
    Complete Drag Car Wiring
    APD Race Engines
    www.apdracing.com

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE fla1976's Avatar
    Outside of bringing it to a calibration laboratory, the best you can do is to compare it to another gauge. If you know someone with a gauge that is accurate, you can hook them up on a "T" and compare them to see how they correlate. Not really calibrated, but it will give you an idea of the accuracy.

Gauge

Personally,CARBS are for LAWN MOWERS! 8)
    Injection!
    ANYWAY?
    I think that the Placement of the Gauge also has ALOT to do with the Setting(Could just be Me)?
    I Like the Gauge at the Fuel Inlet to the Fuel Mixer(CARB)Put the Gauge rite at the inlet of your Split on the Carb inlet.I have Found this to work MUCHO Better!
    And its OBVIOUS that when the Oil in the Gauge warms up it will Drop!Does your Oil Pressure Drop when it reaches 200*?
    Later
    G 8)

Thanks Guys for your time. I'll find someone that knows he has a good gauge and test mine with that.
    Andy