fastest trans brake on the market

Old 01-25-2010, 08:01 PM
superstreeter
SENIOR BUILDER

Default fastest trans brake on the market

Im looking to upgrade the trans, as well as getting the quickest trans brake possible, need some feedback here,,who has the quickest stuff on the market for a glide ? as well as the best bang for your buck on a trans....
Old 01-26-2010, 02:07 AM
shawnp
RACING JUNKIE

For a new glide and wanting the fastest brake possible, call Marco and talk to him. See what he says. He has a dyno in the shop and I am sure he can tell you how quick his stuff is.

http://abruzziracing.com/main.html
Old 01-27-2010, 10:32 AM
spib
RACING JUNKIE

call tim at ptc
http://www.ptcrace.com/index.php
excellent service, have heard nothing but good from them!!!!!
Old 01-27-2010, 06:49 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: fastest trans brake on the market

Originally Posted by superstreeter
Im looking to upgrade the trans, as well as getting the quickest trans brake possible, need some feedback here,,who has the quickest stuff on the market for a glide ? as well as the best bang for your buck on a trans....
That's a very loaded question. There's not one trans manufactuer that can guarentee the quickest trans release/leave on the market. It's a total science, depending on the car the weight and the gear ratio, and the HP.

Shawnp, i totally respect your ability and knowledge and you are one of the smartest persons on this forum bar none.

Now back too the question, it all depend as i said before on the car weight, HP, and the gearing.
I have worked with a car weighing over 3,000 lbs with a 1.76 gear and 6.20 gears for the 1/8 mi. running 1/8 mi. running the 7.0 class heads up. I have made 1/2 doz. different release valves, different undercuts, longer and shorter, closer to the back and front of the valve, different spring pressures. I'm happy to say that the car can go red on a 4.0 tree, no trans builder will guatentee this, with a run of the mill trans.

Spid made a wise choice with the PTC trans. Kenny ford was the National 7.0 champion with his Camero and he also runs a Malibu wagon that weighs about 3400 lbs in the pro tree class.
You can't buy a trans that will guarentee a 4.0 reaction , forgot to add that the 1st gear is a big factor, Kenny Ford runs a 1.96 low gear

Zip.
Old 01-28-2010, 02:22 AM
shawnp
RACING JUNKIE

Zip,

The reason I suggest Marco is for the info he has on hand and what he can test. Marco's trans dyno measures pressures and I am almost positive can capture the reaction speed of the brake making sure that the fastest brake can go into the application. Not many builders have this to offer. It is just slap them together and ship them out.
Old 01-28-2010, 02:53 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by shawnp
Zip,

The reason I suggest Marco is for the info he has on hand and what he can test. Marco's trans dyno measures pressures and I am almost positive can capture the reaction speed of the brake making sure that the fastest brake can go into the application. Not many builders have this to offer. It is just slap them together and ship them out.
You are absolutly right, i don't know of any trans builders that have a trans dyno, maybe Abruzzi has played with these valves to get them to release quicker, i'm familar with BTE,TCI and they surly just slap them together. I personly have 2 trans with TSR electic shift valve bodies, and they won't leave on a 4.0 tree, maybe 4.40, with the 1.76 low gear, i haven't tried the trans with 1.80 straight cuts yet. i can't afford one of Marco's trans, but i do know he's top of the line. PTC (Kenny Ford) is a personal friend but i don't have one of his trans, but i do use his converters.

Zip.
Old 01-28-2010, 03:12 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by zipper06
Zip,

You are absolutly right, i don't know of any trans builders that have a trans dyno, maybe Abruzzi has played with these valves to get them to release quicker, i'm familar with BTE,TCI and they surly just slap them together. I personly have 2 trans with TSR electic shift valve bodies, and they won't leave on a 4.0 tree, maybe 4.40, with the 1.76 low gear, i haven't tried the trans with 1.80 straight cuts yet. i can't afford one of Marco's trans, but i do know he's top of the line. PTC (Kenny Ford) is a personal friend but i don't have one of his trans, but i do use his converters.

Zip.
Marco and Coan both have a dyno .. a great thing for a trans shop to have IMO

on the topic ... IMO Coan makes the fastest one I've ever used, my non pro brake Coan is as fast (more delay) as my pro brake Abruzzi/Hipster/BTE
Old 01-28-2010, 09:10 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by hammertime
Zip,

Zip.

on the topic ... IMO Coan makes the fastest one I've ever used, my non pro brake Coan is as fast (more delay) as my pro brake Abruzzi/Hipster/BTE
David are you leaving on the last yellow? and how much do you have to roll into the box? i know you have a starting line thottle enhancer.
I don't have these features and i leave on the last yellow and roll .040 in the box and hope i don't go red. I'm too old to catch the top light all the time and the last yellow gives me time too adjust/see the tree. The last time out i went .487 red so i guess i'm never going to get it right all the time.
This is turning into an intresting thread.

Zip.
Old 01-29-2010, 04:46 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by hammertime
Zip,

Zip.

David are you leaving on the last yellow? and how much do you have to roll into the box? i know you have a starting line thottle enhancer.
I don't have these features and i leave on the last yellow and roll .040 in the box and hope i don't go red. I'm too old to catch the top light all the time and the last yellow gives me time too adjust/see the tree. The last time out i went .487 red so i guess i'm never going to get it right all the time.
This is turning into an intresting thread.

Zip.
Zip ... I havent bottom bulbed in 2 yrs but I had it setup to kill the bottom bulb and typically you'd be 15-20 on the tree. On top bulb, I've found my coan non pro brake to run more delay that my abruzzi pro brake and the same as my hipster. Back a few yrs ago, I tried a hipster,bte and coan pro brake all within 3 weekends (testing) the coan was stupid faster and required almost 35 more delay then rest. (1200 delay is crazy for a box racer)
Old 01-29-2010, 05:40 AM
superstreeter
SENIOR BUILDER

This is good, I`m liking all this comparision, makes it easier in determining my final choice. I dont have the time or money to be testing all these myself, thanx. looking forward to more great feedback..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -