Wiping a cam lobe

Old 01-25-2010, 02:56 PM
Scooterz
RACING JUNKIE

Default Wiping a cam lobe

Anyone ever wipe a cam lobe upon start up? Aside from a shifting valve spring, or weak material, what else can cause this? is a hydraulic more prone to this or solid lifter? Sorry for the 20 questions, but my neighbor just had this happen on a motor that was fresh, but broke in he claims. His motor is a SBC/Pump gas, 10.5 to 1, high volume oil pump, hyd. lifter, mild cam. Thanks, Scoot
Old 01-25-2010, 03:22 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Had a friend just wipe 2 lobes on a brand new 468, spring seat pressure 100 lbs., comp cam and lifters. Used cam lube, ran the engine for 20 min. @ 2,000 rpm. Drove it less than 100 miles, DONE wiped.
The cam companies are blaming it on the new oils no ZINC but i think it goes a lot further than that. I think the cam companies are buying chinese lifters and maybe imported unfinished shafts and there's not a one of them that will stand behind their products when this happens.

JMO

Zip.
Old 01-25-2010, 04:10 PM
JimmySmith
MASTER BUILDER

Default cam wipeouts

I have had this several times in last 2-3 years and I use the EOS and break in with a 1.3 rocker and these springs are 100-120 lbs. What I have been told is only one company in USA makes lifters and the quailty is not there but we have no choice unless you buy the ceranmic coated lifters and that costs to much. I have lost lobes with 4 diff cam co. Later J.Smith 4621 racing :cry:
Old 01-25-2010, 04:36 PM
Scooterz
RACING JUNKIE

Interesting... I just read an article in Chevy performance that claims Zinc is to blame too... said that many oil manufacturers are having to conform to new emission/laws. Seems dubious... but I am a rookie at best.
Old 01-25-2010, 05:34 PM
dynaguy03
MASTER BUILDER

Default Cam lobe

Ive read the Zinc is a major contributor to this issue too. I use Lucas TB ZINC additive on every oil change .
Even if theres a slight chance.. its worth it to me to add the zinc and not push it on wiping out a cam

Thanks
Old 01-25-2010, 09:10 PM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: Cam lobe

Originally Posted by dynaguy03
Ive read the Zinc is a major contributor to this issue too. I use Lucas TB ZINC additive on every oil change .
Even if theres a slight chance.. its worth it to me to add the zinc and not push it on wiping out a cam

Thanks
X2 add all the zinc you can at break in, cheap chink parts dont help either.

I think anybody that has ever tried to break in a flat tappet cam in anything over the last 10 years has wiped one or more out.
One of the main reasons I switched to roller cams, and maybe even the reason the big '3' switched too> just my 2 cents.

Cp
Old 01-27-2010, 10:24 PM
rob41willys
SENIOR BUILDER

If you are running a flat tappet cam and not using an oil with extra zinc and zdp you are asking for trouble!
Old 01-28-2010, 05:15 AM
oldandtired
RACING JUNKIE

I have ruined several (solid flat tappet cams) and for no good reason.

New procedure:

Make the upgrade to direct lube lifters.
x2 on ZDP.
x2 on reduced ratio rockers or remove inner valve spring on break in.

This really works....

Dave
Old 01-28-2010, 08:58 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by oldandtired
I have ruined several (solid flat tappet cams) and for no good reason.

New procedure:

Make the upgrade to direct lube lifters.
x2 on ZDP.
x2 on reduced ratio rockers or remove inner valve spring on break in.

This really works....

Dave
Dave you hit the nail on the head, i've got a .590/.595 Bullit flat tappet cam i ran about 10 yrs. ago in my Malibu with a 406 motor. It was/is awsome. I've lost/misplaced the original lifters and i want to put it in my 406" motor for my Prosteet truck. I have a new set of lifters but don't know the quality of the lifters and i don't want too lose this cam. I've got 135 lbs spring pressure on the track 1 heads and i'm almost afraid to fire it up. This cam has seen about 100 passes and is perfect condition from 10 yrs ago. I'm thinking about nitriding the lifters. a cheap process, but not sure yet.

Zip.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:05 PM
dragonmaster093
RACING JUNKIE

took me awhile to chime in because had to find article but they say rottella and deisel oils have the zinc too as an option

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -