couple of ? about trans brake

Old 01-21-2010, 07:47 AM
andybyrd
MASTER BUILDER

Default couple of ? about trans brake

1st last season I had problems with my brake releasing when I let go of the button. but after buying 2 new solenoids and that not working I put a stronger spring on the reverse valve and the last race of the season it worked good I thought, I made it to the final round and lost on a bad hole shot. so I just washed it off and went home. but now I'm thinking that mabe the spring wasnt strong enough to release fast enough. Reason why my thinking that, My son in law just had his trans rebuilt and a new brake put in. and when he brought it home yesterday I just reached down to push in the brake button to see how strong the spring was and WOW the spring preasure on his was twice as hard to push in as mine was. so it would release twice as fast as mine would, so my thought now is a stronger spring in mine may help, Is there a perticular size spring that is supossed to be in there poundage wise, Like a 3# or 6# spring, Thats my 1st guestion,
2nd guestion,
how many different size reverse valves do they make For a Powerglide
Ibought a reverse valve from Coan and it want go into the hole in the back of the trans where the solenoid is, it is about 15 thousants bigger around than the one thats in there. everything else looks the same
This is a POWERGLIDE
Thanks Andy
Old 01-21-2010, 11:32 AM
itsabird
RACING JUNKIE

confused here andy, do you have a delay box?
Old 01-21-2010, 11:49 AM
andybyrd
MASTER BUILDER

no I'm hooked straight up to the transbrake. through a 2 step I had posted this problem last summer when I first had the car out and started using the brake and thats when it would not release it would set there for a second then it would release, so after a lot of help from you all I rewired the whole thing bought a new switch and solenoids it would still hang some times. so I went ahead and put a heavier spring on the reverse valve and the last race of the season it never hung up it seemed to work perfect, but I did not put a real strong spring in it because some said it would burn up my solenoid, But my son inlaws new Trans has a very strong spring in it. it is hard to push in compared to mine. mine still works. I was just wandering if anyone may know what the normal Poundage of sping it should be. alot of the trans shops around here don't give out free info. and are very hard to talk to. they all want you to bring it in. It is a Pro Brake
Thanks Andy
Old 01-21-2010, 02:55 PM
wmeabates
MASTER BUILDER

If you are using a relay to supply power to the brake solenoid the the stored voltage in the solenoid could back feed and delay the relay from opening.Bill.
Old 01-22-2010, 05:12 AM
andybyrd
MASTER BUILDER

I'm not using a relay. it's hooked straight up 12v trough the switch, it works ok I'm just trying to find out what the perfect spring tension should be without going to strong and burning up my solenoid,
Andy
Old 01-22-2010, 07:16 AM
wmeabates
MASTER BUILDER

I don't thing a spring that's too strong will hurt the solenoid,it may not let the valve move or coil bind and not let it move as far as it should.Maybe the trans was not preped right for the valvebody You have.Fluid supply holes to the reverse piston must be drilled in the case to dump the fluid fester,an air bleed hole should be at the top of the piston so You don't have compresed air that won't let the piston release quickly.stronger piston return springs are sometimes used also.I'm just guessing at things that may or may not have something to do with Your trans.Bill.
Old 01-22-2010, 12:15 PM
andybyrd
MASTER BUILDER

Thank you Bill, I don't know that much about Transmissions Well really I don't know anything about them, but you are one of several men that says fluid presure moves the reverse valve out. I'm going to the track Sunday so I'm gonna start doing some testing.
Thanks Andy
Old 01-23-2010, 06:30 AM
jmarksdragster
RACING JUNKIE

Valves do come in different diameters, some require modifying the valve body on a mill. Some of the pro tree brakes use fluid to release the valve and some use a spring. The ones with a spring need a fairly stiff spring, as long as the solenoid has enough power to compress it a stronger one won't hurt. Also if the solenoid is a 1 wire, make sure you run a ground from the battery to the trans to make sure you have a good ground there.
Old 01-23-2010, 07:58 AM
andybyrd
MASTER BUILDER

Thank You Mark, you answered my Question,
And Thanks To everyone Else for your Time.Andy