bad lobe on cam

Old 01-19-2010, 05:11 PM
superstreeter
SENIOR BUILDER

Default bad lobe on cam

well broke a lifter and took out a lobe,,,its a bbc with a 50 mm cam and roller bearings, wondering if its worth regrinding the lobe or going through with a new cam and of coarse new lifters, any problems with getting a lobe reground ?? Ive never had to do this before...and who would be the best for doing it ?
Old 01-19-2010, 08:12 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Bullit does it, the last one i had done cost me $100.00, that's a long ways from the cost of a new billet cam which in most cases cost over $300.00. I guess it would also be dermined by the extent of the damage on the lobe. I had mine reground to the same numbers, and they reground the whole cam so that all lobes would be the same BS. Mine was also bent so they had to straighten it first. It was a Compcam shaft, but they applied the same #'s

Zip.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:45 PM
gearhead1011
EXPERT BUILDER

I ran into that several years ago and wouldn't waste my money on a regrind again. I had mine reground after a lifter failed and caused what would be considered light damage. I ran that cam 1 season and when I tore it down the next winter I found grooves in the lobes that matched the rollers. I called comp and they said they probably cut through the surface hardness when they reground it. When I asked why it hadn't been hardened after it was reground they said that would make it too hard and likely to break. They also told me that my problem was rare but when I talked to a guy at a local machine shop he said every one he ever sent back for a regrind did the same thing.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:19 PM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by gearhead1011
I ran into that several years ago and wouldn't waste my money on a regrind again. I had mine reground after a lifter failed and caused what would be considered light damage. I ran that cam 1 season and when I tore it down the next winter I found grooves in the lobes that matched the rollers. I called comp and they said they probably cut through the surface hardness when they reground it. When I asked why it hadn't been hardened after it was reground they said that would make it too hard and likely to break. They also told me that my problem was rare but when I talked to a guy at a local machine shop he said every one he ever sent back for a regrind did the same thing.
Interesting,
probably had more to do with who done the re-grind(s)

Bullit cams is one of the best in the business, I wouldnt be afraid to have mine reground there, sure is alot cheaper than I new one.
JMO< Cp
Old 01-20-2010, 03:58 AM
JimmySmith
MASTER BUILDER

Default Regrind

I have run several BULLET regrinds with ZERO problems. Later J.Smith 4621racing
Old 01-20-2010, 05:54 AM
oldandtired
RACING JUNKIE

I have bought some cheap used radical rollers and Reed Cams has reground them for me. I have had no problems.
Dave
Old 01-21-2010, 07:00 PM
superstreeter
SENIOR BUILDER

thanx all, , I did some checking from around here. and from what I hear, as long as it can still be ground less than .080 its still worth it. mine looks like .020 should clean it up. and a new set of maybe the new Isky lifters with no needle bearings,,,,, ,, anyone have any feedback on their new EZ roll, red zone lifters ???
Old 01-21-2010, 08:13 PM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

There was a post about them EZ roller lifters, let me see if I can dig it up for ya.
Cp