fuel pressure guestion

Old 01-13-2010, 09:21 AM
andybyrd
MASTER BUILDER

Default fuel pressure guestion

Well I've went back a few months and read all the other post about preasure problems but didn't find any quite like mine so I'm gonna have to ask for some help here. I have a BG 280 and bg regulater 10an from tank to pump 8an to front filter then 8an from filter to regulater then 2 8an lines to 950 Holly hp. on 434 675 H/P, now my regulater is mounted side ways not straight up and down if that makes a difference I don't know. but when I adjust my preasure with motor running @ 7.5 # it drops down to 4# at 4000 rpm I have to set it at 12# at idle for it to drop to 6# @ 4000 rpm. it has new 280 BG pump and new gadge it was doing that last week so I bought a new pump and it did not change still the same. if you set it at 7.5 # at idle should it stay there through 7500 rpm's or is is supossed to drop some. I don't know of these things. I do know its never flooded the carbs and it does not run lean through the 1/8 at 6.10 & 112mph I pull the plugs and it still looks rich. any thoughts would be thankful.
Andy Byrd
Old 01-13-2010, 11:29 AM
itsabird
RACING JUNKIE

have you tried another pressure gauge?
Old 01-13-2010, 11:47 AM
mopar1968
RACING JUNKIE

Pump problem, Ron Owens helped me with my problem, Bought a new pump from him and it fixed problem :!: :!:

''JUST MY TWO CENT'S WORTH''
Old 01-13-2010, 02:41 PM
bbchevy
RACING JUNKIE

Default Pump

Buy a GOOD Fuel Pump and Problem will be GONE!
Later
G 8)
Old 01-14-2010, 06:09 AM
andybyrd
MASTER BUILDER

Well that's what I thought yall would say after going back through all the post I read, Mopar1968 yours was the most interesting of them all having to much and not being able to bring it down, but mine is drpping below and I did put a new pump on and its the same, so I have ordered a new Gadge and regulater and I'm going to 6an lines from the reg. to try that, I know there are a lot of people that have had problems with BG pumps But this 280 pumps a gallon of fuel out in a heartbeat, I'm not saying it's not the pump just hard to believe it could drop 1# of preasure per 1000 rpm as much gas as it's pumping. If the the new reg and gadge don't get it I will buy a magna fuel 300 and try it. Thanks for all yall's help
Andy
Old 01-14-2010, 07:41 AM
bbchevy
RACING JUNKIE

Default Pump

Andy,
THATS Exactally what I meant when I said Buy a GOOD Pump!
Toss that BG and get a Magna-Fuel.I wouls say they have the Best Pump on the Market at this Time?
BG,well..............................?It looks GOOD on the Outside,but the Inside is a DIFFERENT Story!
Later
G 8)
Old 01-14-2010, 03:40 PM
BEAST477
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: Pump

Originally Posted by bbchevy
Andy,
THATS Exactally what I meant when I said Buy a GOOD Pump!
Toss that BG and get a Magna-Fuel.I wouls say they have the Best Pump on the Market at this Time?
BG,well..............................?It looks GOOD on the Outside,but the Inside is a DIFFERENT Story!
Later
G 8)
Well I guess I got lucky. I've got a BG400 been running it 5 years no problems. Knock on wood. Oh and it was in the car when I got it.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:21 PM
mopar1968
RACING JUNKIE

Do you have a inline filter? What type pump? max pressure?
Old 01-14-2010, 11:03 PM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by andybyrd
I'm going to 6an lines from the reg.
Andy
Just curious, but why would you go to a smaller size line if you think your having a fuel delivery problem?
Are you trying to cause a restriction to raise pressure?
In theory it should work.

It very well may be that your 280 pump is not capable of flowing enough volume of fuel thru the lines to maintian 7.5 PSI while the needle is off the seat.

I agree, get a 'better' higher volume pump.
Old 01-15-2010, 04:14 AM
curtisreed
RACING JUNKIE

Andy,
I think you are on the right track now looking at the guage and/or regulator, leaning towards the regulator. The BG 280 is more than enough on gas and if it is not leaking I don't see a problem even if you don't like their products. I don't think 2 in a row would do the same thing. I also think #8 or #6 is fine from the regulator to the carb, but downsizing probably won't make any difference toward your problem.

The thing that sticks out to me that it could be a guage/regulator problem is that you had 12lbs at idle and didn't blow the needle off of the seat. You should never get that much pressure drop. Where is your guage exactly?

Curtis

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -