Thread: Dragster Motor Location

Dragster Motor Location

I'm looking at Nostalgia Front Engine Dragsters and would like to purchase one at some point. My dad drove one in the late 60's. The ones I was around back then all had the firewall pretty much right in front of the drivers feet. I've found some nice cars that have the firewall about 18" farther away from the drivers feet. Is there a reason for this or was there just two different designs back then?

Senior Member MASTER BUILDER
    without seeing an actual photo. I would guess the one thats 18" farther has a drive shaft and not a coupler. There were probably several designs as everyone wants to find a better way to go faster, and handle better doing it. It probably would be a newer design rail if it did have a shaft. If you are wanting to run in a true nastalgia class you might want to check the rules for the engine placement and see if it will pass thier tech.
    Live every day like it were your last, because someday it will be.

Senior Member MASTER BUILDER
    moved the engine father forward to calm the car down some(more weight on the front). now days folks run full length glides w/ couplers to the rear. then there are the shortyglide cars where the motor sits closer to the driver. like you are talking about. I have had several of both styles.