Swapping from mineral to synthetic oil

Old 01-05-2010, 01:23 PM
prozb
SHOW GUEST

Default Swapping from mineral to synthetic oil

Has anyone swapped from a 50 weight mineral oil to a 40 weight synthetic and seen any performance gains? I will be swapping from a 15w50 mineral to a 10w40 synthetic in my 582 BBC. Just thought i would ask the question, i have always used a 50 weight mineral in all my engines and have been told numerous times to switch to the synthetic for the frictional benefit and free HP gain. Was told around 10-15 at 7500rpm was typical.
Old 01-05-2010, 03:07 PM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

We use REDLINE front to rear as we are dealing with MAJOR heat buildup when it's 100+ degrees out and the engine is spinning 6,000+ for 50 to 100 miles.
As an example of reduced friction, way back when I was into aircooled VW's and living in Denver, I filled up the transaxle with AMZOIL in the fall and as the temps dropped, I would experience only a 20 RPM drop after I'd start the engine and put it in neutral and let the clutch out. With mineral gearlube I would get a 1,000 RPM drop. :shock: