OPINIONS ON BUILD

Old 01-01-2010, 05:55 PM
fishman1
MASTER BUILDER

Default OPINIONS ON BUILD

i posted this another site but no reponse

i have a dart block sbc 383 c1..13.54 cr.......super victor intake ported 4150 intake with a 970 cfm carb, one inch spacer........going to try a 1050 dominator on the dyno...afr cnc 210 heads and ported....roller solid 264-272 at >050 with .634 lift with 1 3/4 ceramic coated headers the motor dyno just under 600 hp anyways i am going to change the pistons and make the motor a 409 c1......4.165 bore x 3.75 stroke has 6 inch rods but the pistons depending on the head gasket thickness will be from 13.0 to 13.1....i am giving up some compression from old build how much will lose by going down half a point 7-10 hp and how much will i gain by going to 409 ci from 383 ci.....i am guessing it will dyno at 637 hp with the 4150 carb and 655 with the dominator.........am i close and what do you think............thanks
_
Old 01-02-2010, 04:33 AM
shawnp
RACING JUNKIE

I think you will find that the combo will still like the smaller carb versus the 1050. I also think that you should reasonably see a pick up in the HP range. It has been a real long time since we have run small blocks but there are some guys in here that will come along that have real good experiences with combos like yours.
Old 01-02-2010, 05:35 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by shawnp
I think you will find that the combo will still like the smaller carb versus the 1050. I also think that you should reasonably see a pick up in the HP range. It has been a real long time since we have run small blocks but there are some guys in here that will come along that have real good experiences with combos like yours.
x2 the dominator will loose HP if you have the right 4150 carb on there.
I also am not a fan of that super victor intake, I did on track testing with several intaks and its a poor intake out of box. A dart wilson is the ticket but are pricey.
Old 01-02-2010, 06:47 AM
JimmySmith
MASTER BUILDER

X3, Later J.Smith 4621 racing
Old 01-02-2010, 12:34 PM
fishman1
MASTER BUILDER

Originally Posted by hammertime
Originally Posted by shawnp
x2 the dominator will loose HP if you have the right 4150 carb on there.
I also am not a fan of that super victor intake, I did on track testing with several intaks and its a poor intake out of box. A dart wilson is the ticket but are pricey.
Last race of the year on my 383 i tried 2 different dominators and i picked up 2/10 and picked up on my 60 foots by .04.....i here u on the 4150 suiting the car if tuned right but it was built by a carb guy and to see the dom pick up that much right out of the box got me curious.............when i dyno the new motor i am going to bring both style of carbs and will know for sure..........i think that my heads being 210 afr cnc style and got them ported ontop that they are going to be at there max for 409 ci.....but i hope they are capable of getting 650hp out of
Old 01-03-2010, 05:13 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

I'll bet you'll find things are way off egt and o2 wise with that 4150, no way should that motor pick up that much with a dominator.
I used to run them heads, they are decent out of box cnc'd but I ran them on a 358CI and nothing bigger, Id think your a bit over the limit with them but they still should get close to 610-625hp on a good honest dyno and more on a little happy of one.
Old 01-03-2010, 07:11 AM
Pwmax
MASTER BUILDER

How much extra porting? If I did anything, I would put in a bigger cam. At over 400 inches it will like it. Both duration and lift. This is a drag car only I take it, so why not put a real cam in that thing. It will make a lot more power if the heads ported, and the intake needs work too.

650hp should be doable with that deal with a bigger cam, and some work to the intake, and a 4150. I did a 406 deal not long ago, that I freshened and tweaked for a guy, it had some older Brodix track 1's, that had what I call scuff and buff porting, where, they port match, do the bowls, and clean up the runners a bit, then sand everything, and call in fully ported. I ported the heads, re-did valve job and freshened it. With a 274-282 .680 lift solid roller, 950 cfm worked 850 carb, on a HVH manifold, it made 655 hp and 570 ft/lbs.

Frank
Old 01-03-2010, 04:16 PM
fishman1
MASTER BUILDER

Thanks for the replies

These heads are the new cnc elimanotr 210 afr heads that flow 312 cfm out of the box and they have been ported, so i think the heads are capable of the 675 hp range.

As far as the intake it has been professionally ported by larry meaux

The camshaft is going to stay as money does play into everything and yes by today standards as .634 lift and 272 duration cam is not that big but i like the dependability of the smaller cam and don't have all the valvetrain stress.

When the motor was dynoed as a 383 the dyno was tight compared to most around here and i got close to 600hp at 597 so i am hoping by going up 26ci that i should gain around 35-40 hp..........so all and all i am not really looking for anymore hp then 650 (640 i will be happy with)as it will still go fast in a short wheel base car