Thread: compression ratio and horsepower

Senior Member MASTER BUILDER

compression ratio and horsepower

say you have a real healthy sbc with the good heads and cam and intake etc and you eith add or subtract a point of compression. how much hp is lost or gained with each 1 point change of compression ratio. would appreciate help in understanding what a change will make on my engine thanks chevy art

It's usually 2-3% per point in compression between 9-12 but I think it drops down to 1-2 above 13:1 this is assuming your using the same cam. your obviously going to make alot more power if you use a cam that is matched to a higher cr.

cam67152

Senior Member EXPERT BUILDER
    complicated, correct though, its like this going from 9 up a point is say worth 5 percent.going from 10 up a point might only be worth 4 percent.going from 11 up a point might be only worth 3.5 percent....get it?

Junior Member APPRENTICE
    This is a pretty good article by David Vizard that does a good job explaining what happens in "theory" with compression changes.

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/eng...eze/index.html
    '78 Chevy Luv--383
    '68 Camaro-- 383 Twin 60-1 turbos
    '69 Chevelle--385 N2O

compression ratios

thanks guys for the response. before i saw the chart i understood how it worked from the frist two posts and the chart gave more final figures. now i know how this works and will use it in the future chevy art

6. Racing Junk