Tool Box ?

Old 12-26-2009, 05:00 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Default Tool Box ?

Hey guys got a pickle situation my wife bought me a tool box for christmas, she knew it was going into the race car trailer and not the garage so figured a cheaper one would be good. She got me a Craftsman 14 Drawer deal nice looking tool box online.

I took it out of the boxes today to setup, it has dimple marks all over where they assembled it, pulled out a few of the bigger drawers to see how they were and they cock to one side and dont want to push back in.
I assume the dimples were a defect and for sure the drawers were not right. I go to sears and look at the high end boxes and they also have the same dimples on them from assembly. The drawers were not much better.

Now my pickle, I want to return it but dont want to offend (or piss off lol) her by spending more money on something else. She paid 230.00 for it and I need to find something around that area to replace it with. I know ya get what ya pay for but thats what I got to work with. Thanks for the ideas and help

This is what she got me ..
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...l+Chest+Combos
Old 12-26-2009, 06:21 PM
dragonmaster093
RACING JUNKIE

dont know if you have a menards or home depot close the huskey from home depot is fairly good and the clark at merards ar ok
Old 12-26-2009, 09:52 PM
THERATTLER
RACING JUNKIE

If you are looking for an answer on what to do, here is my scope on it---put it in the trailer and act like it is the best one you ever had , she did the best she knew how , it's just a box that holds tools ,,nothing more nothing less , , most of us don't have one that fancy ( i don't), it will last a few years and then you can upgrade , a tool box isn't worth hurt feelings .
Hell , I got socks for Christmas , oh yeah , they are the best ones I ever got :lol: :lol:
Old 12-26-2009, 10:28 PM
mopar1968
RACING JUNKIE

I agree with maniac, It will probably be like mine in a year or two knocks and dent's anyway, I would just install it and do nothing. I have a snap-on box in my trailer two years old and now looks like five years old.

''JUST MY TWO CENT'S WORTH''
Old 12-26-2009, 10:36 PM
MEMRACING62
RACING JUNKIE

x3 maniac!! anything else is asking for trouble :shock:
Old 12-27-2009, 01:55 AM
hollowayshotrods
RACING JUNKIE

David,
Come on man! Be honest with her, tell her the box is to small and won't work for you! Honesty is the best route...................................if you want your nuts hanging on a nail over the fireplace :lol: :lol: :lol: I think Maniac gave the best advice, it's the best one you ever got. Good luck to you my friend.

Originally Posted by maniac
If you are looking for an answer on what to do, here is my scope on it---put it in the trailer and act like it is the best one you ever had , she did the best she knew how , it's just a box that holds tools ,,nothing more nothing less , , most of us don't have one that fancy ( i don't), it will last a few years and then you can upgrade , a tool box isn't worth hurt feelings .
Hell , I got socks for Christmas , oh yeah , they are the best ones I ever got :lol: :lol:
Old 12-27-2009, 04:04 AM
BEAST477
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by maniac
Yeah David, you are luckier than most. She at least tried to get you something you really wanted or needed. If you return it she will probably be afraid to buy something like that again, that it wont be right or not good enough.JMO
Old 12-27-2009, 04:55 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

You guys are right she prob would smack me in the nuts if I dont keep it lol Thanks for all the replies

It just amazes how crappy craftsman stuff has got, I have this box in the garage but its older and looks nothing like this. She told me to take it back and exchange it without dents. When I went to the local sears yesterday that guy acted like he could care less and really didnt think I should bring it back. "sometimes things happen in shipping" hmm does that mean I need to have a dented up tool box instead of new I think not.

I'll let ya know how things go today as I am going there again with the box
Old 12-27-2009, 08:14 AM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

I still have Craftsman hand tools that my Dad gave me for Christmas 30 plus years ago that are STILL a great tool ! Craftsman brand has deteriorated to a super low class of tool line. IMO... used to be up there with Snap On....sad really....
Husky is a reasonably built line of boxes.
Re: your 'new' factory beat up box, try to get it replaced with the same thing but with working drawers at least, and keep it. OR be honest and up front with your wife and share with her your disappointment in the reduced quality of a former high quality tool line. I'll bet she would be just as frustrated over that issue as you are. TOGETHER look for a replacement brand and as a team pick out one that will WORK for you both.
Old 12-27-2009, 08:22 AM
dragonmaster093
RACING JUNKIE

sad thing with sears is when they merged with kmart the quality went to shit so they can sell at kmart yet the price is still the same for low quality. couple years ago picked up a impact and ratcheting wrenches took impact back 2x first 2 wouldnt loosen lug nuts let alone stubornnuts and bolts on chassis at the shop i was at. wrenches work about 1/2 the time usually just spin of course when i try to take back is when they deside to work so nothing they can do

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -